Women’s squash team loses to Yale

The women’s squash team opened the season with an 8-1 loss to Yale University last Thursday. The top eight players from Williams were defeated, but Jen Berylson ’01 in the ninth position pulled out a win against her opponent.

Berylson defeated her Bulldog opponent 9-2, 9-2, 9-4. Playing in an exhibition match in the 10th spot, Nicole Humick ’03 also won, defeating Yale’s Marion Fishman 9-2, 9-4, 9-6. Williams had lost to Yale 9-0 last year.

“Yale is a tough team,” said team member Selma Kikic ’02. “However, we came out strong, and a couple of our matches could have gone either way.”

Earlier in the season, the team suffered another defeat in a scrimmage against Dartmouth but came in second in the NESCAC scrimmage by defeating Bates and Connecticut College.

The team graduated three seniors last spring, but this year added three talented first-years: Adrienne Ellman, Whitney Hallagan and Nicole Humick.

Junior Co-Captain Amanda Winklevoss, Johanna Kolodny ’01 and Kathryn Dingman ’01 recently returned to the team after spending their fall semesters abroad.

Said senior co-captain Meghan Doherty, “We are all psyched to have everyone back. We have been working very hard, and it all seems to be coming together.”

Coach Julie Greenwood is also pleased with the progress that her team has been making. “They keep getting better and better at each practice, and I am really excited for the season to get underway,” she said.

The Ephs face Dartmouth in a home match on Wednesday at 5:00 p.m.. This weekend, they will host the Williams Invitational tournament, starting with a big match against Bowdoin College on Friday.