Women’s ice hockey suffers tough loss to Southern Maine

After an easy win against Bates, Williams suffered a tough loss to the University of Southern Maine. Williams, ranked eighth in the country in Division III women’s ice hockey, now has a record of 4-4.

Two goals from Katie Gold ’00 were not enough to put Williams over USM as the Huskies beat the Ephs 3-2.

Williams outshot USM 40-23 but couldn’t take advantage of key scoring opportunities.

Gold, assisted by Cara Shortsleeve ’00 and Kristen Lee ’01, notched a power play goal for an early score (5:42) in the first. USM tied things up shortly thereafter (6:42). Late in the first (19:17), the Huskies took advantage of a Williams penalty and score on a power play goal. 1:05 into the second, Manning scored an unassisted goal to give USM a two goal lead. Williams continued to press hard for the remainder of the second, outshooting USM 13-5, but was unable to mount another scoring opportunity. In the third (6:25), Gold, from Karen Thome ’03, netted in another to get Williams back in the game. Though Williams fought hard to tie things up, the Ephs were unable to convert their shots into goals down the stretch. Monelle Quevillon ’03 saved 20 of 23 shots for Williams while USM’s goalie Sam Whitman saved 38 of the 40 shots she faced.

”We played hard the entire game, especially in the third period,” said Gold,”and we just couldn’t put the puck in the net. We made a few mental mistakes during the game and those clearly cost us, but we aren’t discouraged by the effort.”

The Ephs had a much easier time against Bates, the only club team in ECAC. The Ephs completely overwhelmed the Bobcats, beating them 12-0, with hat tricks coming from Shortsleeve (four goals in all) and Alexis Scott ’00. Williams scored its goals in big bunches, scoring many within minutes of another.

Caitlin Bowler ’02 started things off with a goal 8:36 into the first. At 12:15, Scott got her first goal from Shortsleeve.

At 14:48, Shortsleeve got her first. Before anyone could blink, at 15:03, Shortsleeve darted down the ice and scored her second, assisted by Scott and Jocelyn Wang ’03. The Bates defense held tight the last five minutes of the first and kept Williams scoring nine minutes into second. But their wall of defense could not hold up much longer, as Williams renewed their scoring onslaught at 10:55 on a goal from Scott, assisted by Gold.

Later, at 15:29, Meghan Bullock ’03 got into the mix, getting a goal off an assist from Sophie de la Barra ’02. Shortsleeve completed the hat trick at 16:29 on an assist from Scott. In the 19th minute, Williams again got two quick scores, first at 19:09 from de la Barra assisted by Gold and Amanda Weber ’02 and another at 19:27 from Molly Venter ’02 on assists from de la Barra and Weber.

Williams would not let up in the third as Scott completed her hat trick at the 8:16 mark with assists from Shortsleeve and Gold. At 10:58, Shortsleeve got her fourth on an unassisted goal where she raced down the Williams side of the ice, stole the puck and then promptly zoomed down to the Bates goal to net one more in. To cap things off, Bowler, from nearly quarter-ice away, launched a shot at 19:38 to give Williams an even dozen for the game. Hillary Weinblatt ’02 got credit for an assist on the play.

As expected, Williams dominated Bates on shots, outshooting the Bobcats 77-1, with Bates goalkeeper Alexis Kamenatsky making 65 saves.

In Shortsleeve’s opinion, it may not have been best to play a team like Bates right before a tough game such as USM, but “the schedule is not always optimal and we have to learn to play each game as it comes.”

Coach Joe Milan cited the team’s biggest problem is its lack of skill when it comes to scoring goals. Milan termed the situation frustrating the team’s inability to produce goals when it had the opportunity, as was often the case against USM and even in the Bates matchup. He cited the team’s lack of offense as an area that needed to be improved.

Before Winter break, the Ephs placed a match against Division I Mercyhurst College (PA). Quevillon was at her best in this matchup, saving 48 out of the 50 shots she faced. It was not enough, though, to carry the Ephs to victory in this match, as Williams lost to Mercyhurst 2-0.

Williams’s next home game is Wednesday against Manhattanville at 7 p.m. . The Ephs then travel to Connecticut to face Sacred Heart and Connecticut College this weekend.