Morgan receives NSF grant

The National Science Foundation has awarded Dennis Meenan ’54 Third Century Professor of Mathematics Frank Morgan a $103,749 grant to study “Isoperimetric Problems and Singular Geometry.”

With support of this grant, he is continuing to probe the “Double Bubble” question: Is the familiar double soap bubble the least-area shape that can enclose and separate two given volumes of air?

Morgan is an expert on the geometry of shapes and structures. In his research he has been investigating whether soap bubbles succeed in minimizing surface area or energy.

He is the author of “Calculus Lite,” “Geometric Measure Theory: A Beginner’s Guide,” and “Riemannian Geometry: A Beginner’s Guide.” His forthcoming “Math Chat Book” based on his TV show and the Christian Science Monitor column will be published in January by the Mathematics Association of America.

His live, call-in Math Chat TV show, with questions, answers, and prizes, will be reprised in Williamstown on Cable TV Channel 17, January 12, 19, and 26, at 7 p.m.

Before coming to Williams in 1987, Morgan taught mathematics at MIT. He has held visiting professorships at Rice, Stanford, and Queens College. At Princeton, he held one of the original two 250-Anniversary Distinguished Teaching Professorships in 1997-98.

He received an S.B. in mathematics from MIT in 1974, a Ph.D. from Princeton in 1977, and an honorary Sc.D. from Cedar Crest College in 1995.