Mirach paces men’s track and field at Dartmouth

The early-season Dartmouth Relays always proves to be a challenging meet for the Williams College Men’s Track and Field team.

At this year’s meet, dominated by Division I schools and large Canadian Universities, high finishes were hard to come by for the Ephs. The great exception was tri-captain Jason Mirach ’01, who continued his breakout campaign by placing in the top three in both of the horizontal jumps.

Mirach started his day with the long jump, leaping 22 feet 5 1/4 inches to place second behind Wheaton College’s superlative Rob Tyson. In his favorite event, the triple jump, Mirach took third with a promising mark of 45’ 1 1/2″. Dwight Ho-Sang ’02 was ninth (41’ 8.5″).

The other highlights of the day for Williams came in distance events; in the 3000 meter run, Shad Miller ’00 provided some senior spark with a second place finish, crossing the line with a time of 8:52.30. Miller’s cross-country teammate Reed Harlow ’01 was also impressive, claiming sixth (9:02.41). Dusty Lopez had a good day in the 5000, placing second (15:54.54).

The Ephs were mightily challenged in the sprints. Jon Pearson ’00 started the day auspiciously, qualifying for the semi-finals in the 55-meter dash with a time of 6.76 before re-injuring his hamstring in the second round.

Ed Rossier ’01 and Mike Sheehan ’03 put in good early-season performances in the 400-meter dash, with nearly equal times of 51.31 and 51.34 respectively.

They later combined with Cliff Covington ’01 and Miguel Fernandez ’01 to place fourth in the 1600 meter relay, crossing in 3:28.68.

The season continues for the Ephs on Saturday, when a collection of schools from New England and Eastern New York is scheduled to come calling at Towne Field House in Williamstown.