Men’s hockey victorious against Conn College, ties Wesleyan over the weekend

In its first games in almost a month, the Williams College men’s hockey team improved its record to 6-3-1 as it went on a Connecticut road trip. The Ephmen won 7-2 over Connecticut College and tied Wesleyan 2-2.

Saturday afternoon, the Ephs played their Little Three rival Cardinals in Middletown. The Ephs started the first period solidly, controlling the puck and getting many shots on Wesleyan goalkeeper Eric Carmody. However, at 12:05 into the first period with the Ephs shorthanded, Steve Cucinatti carried the puck from his own end down ice and fired a wrist shot which eluded netminder David Haimson ’00.

The Ephs continued to pressure Wesleyan and three minutes into the second period Jon Duval ’01 played the puck ahead to Alex Garceau ’02, who got behind the Wesleyan defense as he crossed the blue line. Carmody was caught back in his crease, so Garceau elevated the puck to the far side of the net, which leveled the score 1-1.

Later in the period, Williams took the lead 2-1 as the Ephs cycled the puck deep in the Cardinals defensive zone and Bill Gilchrist ’03 fed the puck to Joe Butler ’01, coming out of the corner. Butler quickly rifled the puck into the goal as a Wesleyan defensemen attempted to block the shot. In the third period, Wesleyan forward Kevin Hardy evened the score at 2-2 when he received the puck in the low slot from Jeff Mercier. The game ended with the tie even though the Ephs outshot the Cardinals 43-25.

Williams forward Dan Cotuno ’02 said, “Their goalie kept them in the game. We definitely had a lot of chances but we just didn’t capitalize on them.”

Ryan Crisp ’01 noted, “Wesleyan was not terribly offensive minded. However, they were very unorthodox with their transition game, they would just flip the puck out of their own end and chase it, trying to get odd-man rushes.”

The night before, the Ephs faced Conn College in New London. That evening the Ephs started strong, scoring four goals in the first period. Williams cruised to a 7-2 win.

Head Coach Bill Kangas commented, “the excellent first period allowed us to have the upper hand for the rest of the game.”

In the game Junior forward Bobby Moss scored four goals, while David Carrillo ’00, Rob Hodge ’00 and Ryan Crisp ’01 each netted one for the Ephs. Next up for the Ephs is a divisional game at home against Colby at 6 p.m. Tuesday night.