Men’s Indoor track team extends winning streak

The Williams College men’s track and field team extended its winning streak against Division III competition to 140 on Saturday with a victory in the opening meet of the season. The final team scores were Williams, 79.5; UMASS-Lowell (Division II), 71; Westfield State, 48.5; Keene State, 37; RPI, 10; and New Paltz, 4.

Junior Tri-captain Jason Mirach, who won both of the horizontal jumps, led the Ephs. In his first attempt of the long jump competition, Mirach set his personal record (PR) with a leap of 22 feet 4 1/4″. Then in the triple jump Mirach broke out a strong 44’ 9″ performance to win by nearly five feet over his closest competitor. Backing him up in the long jump were Jason Stanley ’00, who placed second (20’ 7 1/4″), Dwight Ho-Sang ’02 (fourth), John Phillips ’02 (fifth), and Matt Brothers (sixth).

The other field events were also kind to Williams. Malcolm Perry ’02 looked impressive in winning the pole vault with a clearance of 13’ 3″. Matt Campanelli ’00, an NCAA qualifier last spring, took first in the hammer throw with a mark of 14.86 meters.

The Ephs also looked good in the shot put, led by sophomore Dave Fontes, who captured second (45’ PR). Tri-captain Bob Blackstone ’00 was third (44’ 11″), followed by Trey Wright ’03 in fourth (43’ 11″). And in the high jump, Jamon Frostenson ’03 jumped 5’ 10″ to place third.

With the entire varsity cross-country squad still resting after the NCAA championships, the sprint corps were called on to provide a much needed boost. The 55-meter dashmen started their campaign in auspicious fashion by taking three of the top five places in the event. Chidozie Alozie ’01 was the first across the line in 6.71 seconds, out-leaning teammate Valentin von Arnim ’01, who also crossed in 6.71. Nosirudeen Quadri ’03 debuted in fifth place (6.94). In addition, last year’s New England runner-up Jon Pearson ’00 ran a 6.71 trial time before his day ended early with a hamstring injury.

The 200-meter dash saw Alozie and von Arnim again go 1-2, with times of 23.58 and 24.22 respectively. In other sprinting action, Ed Rossier ’01 turned in a good early season performance in the 400-meter dash, placing fourth in a very strong field with a time of 52.55 seconds. Miguel Fernandez ’01 was fifth (53.22), and Clifton Covington ’01 crossed in sixth (54.2). These three also teamed with Andrew Deichman ’01 to win a thrilling 1600-meter relay over Lowell by only four hundredths of second.

Without its stars, the distance men still put in a good effort, highlighted by Chris Garvin’s third place finish in the 800 meter (2:00.76). In other distance action, Andrew Golden ’03 placed sixth in the 3000 meter run and the distance medley relay team finished third on the strength of a fine anchor leg by Jay Slowik ’01.

Next up for the Ephs is the Tufts Invitational on Saturday, the final meet of 1999.