Editorial board says goodbye, feels old

As the end of the semester, the end of the nineties, and, it’s true, the end of this Record Editorial Board all draw to a close, we at the Record, or at least some of us, feel the need to take stock, to reflect on the past year, and to say something about it. Here at the Record, we change leadership in the middle of the academic year, beginning a little early, for the seniors on the board, the long process of saying goodbye that culminates a few hours after graduation when we are unceremoniously kicked out of our dorms.

It’s better to start it early. It gives us some perspective on the whole senior experience. If you will excuse the indulgence, we will let the Record serve briefly as a metaphor for Williams, and our experience as editors will stand for the greater experience of being a senior at Williams. The Record, like Williams, is a venerable institution, made vital by a constant flow of energetic and intelligent young people.

One of the most difficult things for seniors to do is realize that the vitality of Williams no longer lies with us, but with those young, unfamiliar faces we’re starting to see so much more of. One of the most difficult things for us to do, in other words, is grow up.

Our parents have been struggling to let go of our youth for years, why shouldn’t it be hard for us too?

Easy or hard, we do it, and it’s important that we do, because other people need the space we’re taking up.

We should, ideally, leave with a deep gratitude for the opportunities we’ve had here. We should leave with good wishes and a trust in the talented students who will be here next year, as we leave the Record in the able hands of next year’s editorial board. The school exists for the students, after all, not for the alumni, not for the parents.

Which means it still exists for us, at least for a while longer. So Seniors, as we ponder, plan or deny our future after college, why not be a little more aware of moments, of the clouds in Williamstown, of the expert way we swipe our ID cards after four years of practice? It has to come to an end and it should, but we can enjoy what’s left.

And hey, now that someone else is publishing the newspaper, maybe we’ll have some time to share it with you.