Women’s hockey splits to open up season

The Williams womens’ ice hockey team split its two games this weekend to start the season 1-1. On Saturday, it defeated Hamilton 4-1, but it was shut out on Sunday 3-0 by RIT.

After a scoreless first, RIT’s Rogers knocked in her first goal on a power play opportunity 2:57 into the second. Assisting Rogers on the goal was Sandy Payne.

In the third, RIT padded its lead with two more goals. Williams had a number of good opportunities to score in the third as well. The Ephs took 12 shots in the third, but were unable to find the net. RIT’s Rebecca Grandy, from Margaret Dumiak, scored 4:04 into the third. Rogers put the game out of reach for Williams when she scored minutes later (8:46). Jill Johnson assisted Rogers on that goal. Eph goaltender Monelle Quevillon ’03 saved 16 of the 19 shots she faced while RIT goalie Melissa Norris stopped all 19 of the shots she faced.

The Ephs came out much stronger the day before when they defeated Hamilton 4-1. The Ephs put the Continentals away early, scoring three of their goals in the first period. The first came just 30 seconds into the game off the stick of co-captain Cara Shortsleeve ’00. At the 9:07 mark, Williams got another, this time from Lisa Haney ’03, with assists coming from Katie Gold ’00 and Sophie de La Barra ’02. Just four minutes later (13:10), Williams extended its lead to three after receiving a goal from another Julie Karoly ’03, assisted by Karen Thome ’03.

The second period went scoreless, and Hamilton would score its only goal at 2:04 into the third. The Continental goal came from Alison Cherry with an assist from Jenne Atherton. However, the Ephs would thwart any hope of a Hamilton comeback when Molly Venter ’02 broke through the Hamilton defense and scored an unassisted goal 6:45 into the third.

Quevillon stopped 17 of the 18 shots she faced while Hamilton’s Jen Kroleski saved 38 of the 42 shots that came her way.

Despite the loss to RIT, the Ephs are well-positioned to make a run at an ECAC playoff berth. They return a number of starters, including All-American and all-time Williams scoring leader Shortsleeve, and only lost two players from last year. Added to the mix this winter is new coach Joe Milan, a former assistant to mens’ hockey coach Bill Kangas, plus first-year goalie Quevillon.