Sophomores complete NYC marathon

On Sunday, November 7th over 31,000 people gathered to race in the 30th annual New York City Marathon, the biggest marathon in the world. Among the runners were Williams students Isabel Lowell ’02 and Derek Ward ’02, as well as recent Williams alumna Heather Kovich ’99. To the cheers of two million spectators they battled fatigue, 30 mile per hour winds, and each other to complete the 26.2 mile course that winds through all five boroughs.

Kovich finished her first marathon well with a net time of 4:30:11, averaging 10:49 a mile, placing 21039th overall and 1402nd in her age group. Ward completed his first marathon with a net time of 3:36:52, averaging 8:16 a mile, finishing 4917th overall and 12th in his age group, a solid finish for his first attempt. Lowell, in her third marathon, had the strongest performance, shattering her previous best time by over 20 minutes. She placed 4184th overall, 370th out of all women and a remarkable 4th in her age group, crossing the line in a net time of 3:34:15, averaging 8:11 a mile. Lowell and Ward, both current members of the crew team finished amazingly close considering they did not race together. Kenya’s Joseph Chebet won the men’s race in a time of 2:09:14. The female champion, Adriana Fernandez, a Mexican, completed the windy course in 2:25:06.