Women’s cross country takes second at ECAC race

The women’s cross-country team once again proved that there is strength in numbers this weekend at the ECAC Championships at Tufts University. While resting their top eight runners, the Ephs managed to finish second only to Middlebury, who raced their second and sixth through tenth runners. Final team scores were Middlebury, 28; Williams, 99; Springfield, 115; Colby, 158; and Tufts, 169.

According to Coach Kristen Morwick, “the team ran really well; everyone had a great race.” Three Ephwomen earned all-ECAC honors by finishing in the top 15. Katie Sharff ’02 crossed the line first for Williams, finishing 12th in the five-kilometer race with a time of 19:55. Close behind were Joey Shapiro ’01 in 13th with a time of 19:59 and Sandra DiPillo in 14th at 20:01. “Joey looked awesome with a huge kick going from 18th to 13th in the last 100 meters. It was a great day!” exclaimed Morwick.

Elizabeth Roller ’01 was the next Williams runner to cross the line, ending the race with a strong finish over the last mile. Roller finished 28th with an impressive time of 20:35. Rounding off the scoring five for the team was first-year Julia Bensen in 33rd place with a time of 20:49. Meg Tierney ’01, finishing 57th out of 243 runners at 21:14, ran her fastest race of the season on the tough Tufts course.

All in all, the cross country Ephwomen, resting their top eight in preparation for this week’s Division III New England Championships, made an impressive showing at Tufts. On Saturday, Williams takes on Middlebury once again, this time at full strength. The top two teams in this Saturday’s race at UMass-Dartmouth, likely to include the Ephs, travel to the NCAA Championships in Oshkosh, Wisconsin on November 20.