Volleyball falls to Amherst, Middlebury in NESCAC

The Williams women’s volleyball team finished its season this weekend after finishing fourth at the NESCAC Tournament held at Trinity. The team’s final record was 19-16. On the first day of the tournament, Williams won its third match of the year against Wesleyan, defeating the Cardinals 3-1. That set up a Williams-Amherst match in the NESCAC semifinals. A win in the semis would guarantee Williams an ECAC berth, with an NCAA bid coming if it was to go on and win the NESCAC Tournament. Unfortunately, the Lord Jeffs, ranked #1 in NESCAC, would prove to be too much for the Ephs once again, winning 10-15, 15-8, 15-2, 15-9. Amherst then beat Bates 3-0 in the championship to win the NESCAC Tournament.

The Ephs could have still possibly garnered an ECAC bid with a win over Middlebury in their next game to finish third at the tournament. But, in this match, the breaks would not go Williams’s way, as Middlebury eked out a close 3-2 victory over Williams to all but vanquish any hopes the Ephs had of playing in the postseason. Williams won the first game 15-12. The next two games, however, would prove to be the most heartbreaking as Middlebury won both the second and third games of the match 16-14. The Ephs dominated the Panthers in the fourth game 15-4, but in the fifth Middlebury shut the door on any Williams comeback by defeating the Ephs 15-6.

Carmel Lyons ’03 was named to the All-Tournament Team while Shekinah Cohn ’01 made the All-NESCAC First Team. Captain Katie Ford ’00 was named to the NESCAC Second Team.