Two more wins net men’s soccer NCAA berth

The men’s soccer team crept up in the rankings this week, defeating two more opponents and bringing their record to 13-0-1.

In their final regular season game, the Ephs traveled to Wesleyan, where they rolled by the Cardinals with a 2-0 victory. About 17 minutes into the game Josef Powell ’02, sent the ball through the Wesleyan defense to Ted Giannacopoulos ’02, who pushed the ball past the goalie to give Williams a 1-0 lead. Giannacopoulos had a second chance moments later but could not connect as his open-net shot hit the crossbar.

The Ephmen headed into halftime with a 1-0 lead. The second half was much of the same as Williams scored again early. From 35 yards out, Richard Bode ’02 volleyed a ball up and it bounced over the goalie’s head, tallying the Ephmen’s second goal. Ryan Spicer ’01 and Neal Appleman ’00 split the time in the Williams goal, each making one save in the tenth shutout this season.

On Wednesday the Ephmen faced off against Connecticut College in their last regular season home game. Despite a very slow start the Ephs recovered to score three goals in the second half and end with a victory.

“It was a game of halves,” said Head Coach Mike Russo, “We couldn’t score in the first half, but we picked it up in the second half. It was an important win, though, and we’re happy with the result.”

The first half was tight as neither team connected, but the Ephs came out firing in the second and with just under 15 minutes gone they scored. Giannacopoulos passed the ball down the right side of the field to senior Jon Trementozzi, who then crossed it to Mike Cortese ’01. Cortese nailed a shot past the Camel goalie to give the Ephs their first goal of the game.

Moments later Williams struck again, as Giannacopoulos passed it off to Powell, who sent the ball through the Camel defense to first-year Alex Blake. With a one on one against the goalie, Blake went to the right and knocked the ball into an open net. Connecticut continued its effort, but was unsuccessful as Williams’ defensemen held it to only four shots on goal, while Williams had an amazing 36.

But the Ephmen were not finished, as they scored with only 45 seconds remaining. Marc Williams ’02 sent a ball to Perry Kalmus ’03. Kalmus took the ball upfield where he crossed it to Dylan Smith ’03. Smith then netted the Ephs third goal of the matchup, bringing the final score to 3-0. In the net for the Ephmen, Spicer and Appleman again split the time in another shutout for Williams.

Ranked first in the New England region, the Ephmen will be hosting the regional rounds this week. With a bye in the first round, Williams will face the winner of the Manhattanville-Hunter match on Saturday at 11:00 a.m. at Cole Field.