Second seven lead men’s CC to second at ECACs; D-III New Englands this weekend

Last Saturday, the men’s varsity cross country runners had a week off, so the second seven had a chance to show their stuff for their last race at the ECAC meet in Grafton, Mass. The Ephs placed second out of 32 schools, many of whom ran their full varsity squad.

It was a beautiful day to run on a very scenic but challenging course. The Ephmen got off to a good start, and for the first two miles they ran as a close pack. Although they did not stay together throughout the entire race, the seven runners were only separated by one minute and 20 seconds at the finish.

Steve Kaye of Tufts University won the race in 26:23. The first Williams runner across the line was Karl Remsen ’03 in fourth place. He was closely followed by Chris Garvin ’03 and Will Ronco ’01 in 18th and 20th respectively, and only eight seconds behind them was Andy Golden ’03 in 25th place.

Zach Blume ’02 out-kicked teammate Jay Slowik ’01 for 31st, and Teddy Wasserman ’00 rounded out the top seven by placing 40th. This pack effort scored very well in the race of 244 runners, and Williams only lost to Tufts by 37 points. Considering that Tufts ran some of its varsity runners, the second seven held their own.

Garvin summed up the race by saying, “Everyone really pulled it together for the last race of the season.”

“The second seven showed that they are not the slouchy bunch of guys everyone believes them to be,” added Blume on the team’s strong showing.

The team’s top seven runners are preparing for their return to action in the Division III New England Championships at this weekend at UMass-Dartmouth.