Field hockey ends season 11-5

Playing in the ECAC Tournament this past week, the fifth seed Williams field hockey team defeated number four seed Mt. Holyoke in the quarterfinals, but fell to number eight seed Tufts in the semifinals. Williams thus finishes the season at 11-5.

On Wednesday, Williams defeated Mt. Holyoke (13-9) 2-1 in double overtime to advance to the semifinals.

Williams scored first to take a short-lived 1-0 lead with 19:57 remaining in the first half. Senior forward Alexis Scott’s shot was deflected, and co-captain Lili Anderson ’00 picked up the rebound and put the ball into the goal.

However, just three minutes later Mt. Holyoke netted one to tie the score. Due to tenacious defense on the part of both teams, neither would score again in regulation.

The first overtime period was also scoreless, forcing a second sudden death overtime period. Three minutes into this second overtime Williams was up on offense when Mt. Holyoke knocked the ball down the field the other way past the Williams defenders.

Sprinting to catch three Mt. Holyoke players on the break, Molly Venter ’02 got her stick on the ball, turned it around and ran it back up field. She passed it to Scott, who moved it into the circle and then hit a slap shot that went in dead against the backboard. This goal gave Williams the 2-1 win.

Goalkeeper Jen Akey ’02 had 12 saves for the Ephs, including a crucial save in the first overtime period. “They really nailed that one at the goal,” Coach Chris Mason remarked. “I thought it was going in; I don’t know how she got it.”

Playing in the ECAC semifinals Saturday, Williams fell to Tufts (10-6) 1-0 in overtime. Tufts, the number eight seed, beat first-seeded Bates to advance to the semifinals.

Attempting to avenge its 4-1 regular season loss against Tufts, the Williams team came out strong and dominated the first half. Despite having 10 offensive penalty corners in the half to Tufts’ three, Williams was unable to break the Jumbos stifling defense and could not score.

The second half was a bit more balanced, though Williams still had more penalty corners (5-2). However, neither team was able to break through the defense to score a goal. “We were executing nicely,” commented Mason, “but we couldn’t score.”

This forced the game into sudden death overtime. Three minutes into the fifteen-minute period Tufts got an opportunity and capitalized to take the game 1-0 and put an end to the Eph season.

“It’s been a good season,” said Mason. “We’ve had a great senior group; they have led the team well. We would have liked to win today but their defense did a great job stopping us from getting good shots, or even any shots, off.”

“Although it was frustrating to end the season on a loss I think the high points of Holyoke, Amherst [a 3-2 upset in the regular season], and others still leave all of us with a feeling of success,” remarked Scott. “[It is] definitely an experience and a season I will never forget.”