Field hockey likely into ECACs

The field hockey team won one and lost one this past week to finish the regular season at 10-4. The win came this past Saturday when the Ephs played their last regular season game at home against Connecticut College (4-10). Williams defeated the Camels 3-1.

The loss came at the hands of Springfield College (16-3), a team that was ranked fifth in last week’s National Field Hockey Coaches Association Division III Poll. Springfield defeated the 17th-ranked Ephs 2-0.

Williams traveled to Springfield last Tuesday for an evening game on turf, their second turf game of the season. Williams coach Chris Mason indicated that the Williams team adjusted well and played solidly, but it could not quite match Springfield. The Pride had 13 shots and 10 penalty corners, while the Ephs tallied seven of each. Springfield also scored two goals, one per half.

Some of the more exciting play for the Ephs came on the defensive end as senior co-captain Morgan Heintz had two saves at the post off of penalty corners. Goalkeeper Jen Akey ’02 had six saves for the Ephs.

“People were playing really well,” commented Williams Coach Chris Mason. “It was a back and forth game. Unfortunately we were unable to score.”

Saturday the Ephs played their last regular season game at home, defeating Connecticut College 3-1 to finish the season at 10-4. “We played really well and had a lot of good chances,” Mason noted at the end. “And our defense was solid.”

Williams scored the first two goals of the game. With 17:01 left in the first half, Stefanie Noering ’03 connected on a goal unassisted to put the Ephs up 1-0. Just ten minutes later Lyssa Castonguay ’01 scored another one for the Ephs, again unassisted.

Connecticut College rebounded from this second goal quickly, coming back to score one of its own with 5:02 left in the half. This goal cut the Williams lead to one. At halftime the score was still 2-1.

The second half saw a lot of back and forth play, but with 5:24 left on the clock Williams pushed the ball up the field and into the Connecticut College goal. Noering dribbled the ball up the field and hit a long pass up towards the circle. Alexis Scott ’00 picked up the pass, pushed it further into the circle and then nailed it into the goal. This put Williams up 3-1 for good.

“Scott’s goal was a great way to end the regular season,” Mason commented. “It really fired the team up and the end of the game was very intense,” added Heintz.

Williams outshot Connecticut College 6-4 and had more offensive penalty corners (13-8). Akey had eight saves for the Ephs.

Williams will hear about post-season play in the next few days. The team is expecting to be in the ECAC Tournament.