Williams awards 1999-2000 Oakley fellowships to faculty

The Francis Christopher Oakley Center for the Humanities and Social Sciences at Williams College has awarded a dozen fellowships for the 1999-2000 academic year.

The 1999-2000 recipients are:

For the full academic year: Charles B. Dew, W. Van Alan Clark 1941 Third Century Professor in the Social Sciences; David B. Edwards, associate professor of anthropology; James L. Pethica, visiting assistant professor of English; and Deborah M. Rothschild, curator of the Williams College Museum of Art.

For the fall of 1999: Charles W. Haxthausen, professor of art and director of the Graduate Program in the History of Art; Ju-Yu Scarlett Jang, associate professor of art; and Kenda B. Mutongi, assistant professor of history.

For the Spring of 2000: Peter Just, associate professor of anthropology; Cornelius C. Kubler, Stanfield Professor of Asian Studies; Michael Ouellette, senior lecturer in theater arts at MIT; Karen E. Swann, professor of English; and Karen L. Shepard, visiting lecturer in English.

Mutongi and Swann have also been named Herbert H. Lehman fellows. The Lehman fellowship is awarded to two Oakley fellows whose proposals show exceptional promise in the fields of governmental affairs and public policy. The fellowships provide additional funds so that recipients may bring distinguished visitors in their fields to the center for consultation.

Charles B. Dew

For his project titled “Apostles of Disunion: Slave-State Commissioners in the Great Secession Winter of 1860-61,” Dew will study the speeches and letters of commissioners in the five “Deep South” states to understand their thinking during the secession. Dew is the author of numerous articles and two books, “Bond of Iron: Master and Slave at Buffalo Forge” (Norton, 1994) and “Ironmaker in the Confederacy: Joseph R. Anderson and the Tredegar Ironworks” (Yale University Press, 1966). “Ironmaker in the Confederacy” earned the 1967 Award of Merit from the American Association for State and Local History and the 1966 Fletcher Platt Award. “Bond of Iron” received the 1995 Elliott Rudwick Prize and was a finalist for the 1995 Lincoln Prize. The book was also selected as Notable Book of the Year by The New York Times Book Review. Dew received his bachelor’s degree summa cum laude from Williams in 1958 and his Ph.D. from Johns Hopkins University in 1964.

David B. Edwards

Edwards will work on a project titled “Mirror of Jihad: Ethnographic Encounters in Afghanistan.” A specialist on Afghanistan and the Middle East, Edwards is the author of many articles and a book, “Heroes of the Age: Moral Fault Lines on the Afghan Frontier” (University of California Press, 1996). He received his B.A. from Princeton University in 1975 and his Ph.D. in anthropology from the University of Michigan in 1986. Before coming to Williams, he taught anthropology at Washington University and the University of Michigan. Edwards served as dean of first-year studies at Williams from 1995 to 1998.

Charles W. Haxthausen

Haxthausen, the Faison-Pierson-Stoddard Professor of Art History at Williams, specializes in 20th century European art and theory and methods of art history. His research project, titled “Carl Einstein: Art Theory and Art Criticism,” is the first in-depth English examination of the work of the German art critic. He is the author of numerous articles and books, including “Paul Klee: The Formative Years” (Garland, 1981) and the co-editor of “Berlin: Culture and Metropolis” (U. of Minn. Press, 1990). He received his B.A. from the University of St.Thomas in 1966 and his Ph.D. from Columbia University in 1976.

Scarlett Jang

Jang is continuing work on a manuscript, “Painting and Politics in the Early Ming Court (1368-1525),” an inquiry into the culture and politics of art inside the dual capitals of the Ming Dynasty. She has written numerous articles about Chinese art, especially on the Ming and Sung dynasties. She received her Ph.D. in the history of art from the University of California at Berkeley in 1989.

Peter Just

Just is working on a project titled “A Sign Upon Thy Hand: An Ethnography of Tefillin (Phylacteries).” He is an expert in Southeast Asian cultures, especially Indonesia. He spent several years living with the Dou Donggo people in Indonesia. He has written extensively on the subject, including the book “Dou Donggo Justice: Conflict and Morality in an Indonesian Society,” and has led numerous ethnographic surveys of Indonesia. He received his B.A. from the University of Chicago in 1972 and his Ph.D. in anthropology from the University of Pennsylvania in 1986.

Cornelius C. Kubler

Kubler will research “Varieties of Spoken Standard Chinese,” including the phonology, syntax, and lexicon of six representative Chinese dialects, which he studied during a Fulbright fellowship in China and Taiwan two years ago. Kubler will also be revising the draft of a multi-media Chinese language course. Kubler has written over 30 articles and is the author or coauthor of seven books on Chinese language and linguistics, including “The Development of Mandarin in Taiwan: A Case Study of Language Contact” (1985) and “Guide for Basic Chinese Language Programs” (1997). He received his B.A. from Cornell University in 1972, an M.A. from National Taiwan University in 1978, and a Ph.D. in linguistics from Cornell University in 1981. He spent 11 years at the U.S. State Department’s Foreign Service Institute, where he served as language training supervisor in Chinese and chaired the department of Asian and African languages. In 1992, he was appointed chair of a six-person task force to develop national curricular guidelines for basic Chinese programs in U.S. high schools and colleges.

Kenda B. Mutongi

Mutongi is working on her book “Widowhood, Colonialism, and Gender: Everyday Narratives from Western Kenya, 1895-present.” She has published articles in the Journal of African History and Gender and History. She has held several fellowships, including the Rockefeller, Social Science Research Council, and Bunting fellowships. Mutongi received her B.A. from Coe College in 1990 and her Ph.D. from the University of Virginia in 1996.

Michael Ouellette

Ouellette, an MIT faculty member, will research a project on script analysis titled “Reading the Script.” He has taught script analysis at MIT, where he is a senior lecturer in theater arts. Ouellette received his B.A. from Brown University in 1965, his M.A. in comparative literature from Harvard University in 1967 and his M.F.A. in acting from Southern Methodist University in 1979.

James L. Pethica

Pethica, a visiting professor of English, will work on two projects concerning Yeats—”Mind and Delighted Mind: The Collaborative Partnership of W.B. Yeats and Lady Gregory,” an exploration into the relationship between the two writers, and “The Norton Yeats: A Critical Edition,” a textbook. Pethica has published “Lady Gregory’s Diaries 1892-1902″ (Oxford, 1996), “W.B. Yeats: Last Poems: Manuscript Materials” (Cornell, 1997), “From This Island of Slaves to the Land of the Free: Henry Stratford Persse’s Letters to America (with James C. Roy: Cork, 1998), and numerous articles. He received his B.A. in 1980, and his Ph.D. in 1987 from Oxford University.

Deborah M. Rothschild

Rothschild will devote her time to a project titled “Winthrop Kellogg Edey and the Warhol Years.” The unpublished diaries of Edey, photographer, clockmaker, collector and wealthy eccentric who moved in the Andy Warhol circle provide keen observations on the New York art scene during the 1960s and 1970s. Edey appeared in a number of Warhol films and befriended then-unknown artists Robert Mapplethorpe and Jean-Michel Basquiat. Rothschild plans to research, edit and annotate the diaries from the years 1960-1975. She also hopes to produce an exhibition for WCMA using its collection of Warhol material. Rothschild is curator of the Williams College Museum of Art. She received her B.A. from Vassar and her Ph.D. form the Institute of Fine Arts, NYU. She is the author of “Picasso’s ‘Parade’: From Street to Stage” and has served as curator and author for numerous exhibitions and catalogues including “Graphic Design in the Mechanical Age,” now traveling in Japan, and “Introjection: Tony Oursler Mid-Career Survey, 1976-1999,” currently on view at WCMA.

Karen L. Shepard

Shepard is working on a literary non-fiction book about drug addiction and the recent memoir craze. The working title is “What I Think Now.” Skeptical of the “suffering” memoir-writers endure due to someone else’s life experiences, Shepard will focus on the issues of responsibility, self-indictment, and custody of stories. She is visiting lecturer in English at Williams. Her first novel, “An Empire of Women,” will be published next year by G. P. Putnam’s Sons. Shepard received her B.A. from Williams in 1987 and her M.F.A. from the University of Houston in 1992. She is a part-time lecturer at Williams.

Karen E. Swann

Swann will work on her book, “Lives of the Dead Poets.” She specializes in women’s studies and British literature. She was awarded a National Endowment for the Humanities fellowship in 1986 to study the works of the major 19th century Romantic poets. She has written several articles, including “Public Transport: English Romantic Experiments in Sensation” (1993) and “Harassing the Muse” (1987). Swann received her Ph.D. from Cornell University in 1983. Before coming to Williams she taught at Ithaca College and Cornell Univeristy.