Orville Schell to deliver talk on China

Next week Williams students will have an unusual opportunity to gain insights into what’s really going on inside of China.

With allegations of nuclear espionage, the crackdown on the Feshou Zong movement, the bombing of the Chinese Embassy in Belgrade and bitter debates over entry to the WTO, China has dominated the American political agenda for the last few years. With Republicans attacking President Clinton, and moderates insisting that trade and consultation can transform China into a valuable ally, who’s right?

Orville Schell, one of the country’s foremost students of China for 30 years, will deliver a lecture at Williams on Monday, October 11. Schell will be speaking on “The Future of China” in the Brooks-Rogers Recital Hall at 8:00 p.m.

Schell has written 14 books, including the best-sellers “Discos and Democracy” and “Mandate of Heaven,” and has published regularly in magazines such as The New Yorker, The Atlantic Monthly and The New York Review of Books. Schell has also produced and hosted documentaries for PBS and ABC’s Frontline. Currently the Dean of the Graduate School of Journalism at UC Berkeley, Schell’s forthcoming book, “Virtual Tibet,” explores the American fascination with Tibet.