Field hockey off to excellent start

It was a good week for the Williams field hockey team as it won twice on the road to improve to 4-1 on the season. Williams began the week with a 2-0 victory at Smith on Monday.
Saturday the squad trekked southward to play Trinity College, an NCAA Final Four team last year, and won 4-2.

At Smith, the offense was led by Stephanie Noering ’03 and Rebecca Parkinson ’00, who scored a goal apiece. Noering scored in the first half off an assist from co-captain Lili Anderson ’00. Parkinson’s second-half goal gave the Ephwomen breathing room and came off an assist from Alexis Scott ’00.

Coach Chris Mason was very pleased with the game. “We played good aggressive offense, and the defense made some great passes up to them,” she commented.

Anderson was also very positive about the Smith game. “We came out stronger than ever,” she said.

“We worked together as a team, communicated well on the field, and gave 110 percent effort. Every Williams player showed outstanding effort and poise for the entire game.”

Coming out strong again on Saturday, the Ephs played aggressively and dominated the offense in their 4-2 win at Trinity. In the first half of the game Williams controlled the play and out-shot Trinity 12-1.

However, Trinity’s one shot was a nicely executed penalty corner off of which it scored to make the halftime score 1-0.

In the first four minutes of the second half, the Williams players were a little bit flat, but this would be the only lull of the game. With 30:21 remaining Sarah Commito ’01 scored on a penalty corner play off an assist from Lyssa Castonguay ’01. This goal, which tied the score at 1-1, fired up the team and it played well for the remainder of the game.

Williams got its second goal with 20:42 left as Castonguay hit the ball to Scott, who put it in to make the score 2-1. After this goal there was no scoring until the last ten minutes of the game.

Trinity netted a second goal with 7:29 left in regulation to re-tie the score at 2-2. Not wanting to go into overtime, the Ephs stepped up their play.

“At this point we thought about calling a time out,” Mason said, “but the team kept playing incredibly aggressively and looked pretty determined.”

Just seconds after Trinity’s goal, Williams regained the lead as Robin Severud ’00 netted a goal with 7:02 remaining in regulation. Scott had the assist and Williams was back up, 3-2.

In the final seven minutes of the game Williams’ defense continually cleared the ball up to the offense, allowing the team to score once more with 2:49 left on the clock. This goal was by Noering, assisted by Castonguay, to make the final score 4-2.

Reflecting on the game, Castonguay said, “The best thing was that the team persevered and never shut down. We kept capitalizing on our opportunities in the second half…people were very intense.” She also felt that it was the first time that everything the team had been working on came together to lift it to a win over a quality club.

Williams will look to carry the momentum they have started into their three home games this week. Tuesday the Ephwomen play against RPI at 4:15, Friday they face Colby at 4:15 and Saturday they’ll take on Bates at 11:00.