1999-2000 Bolin Fellows announced

Williams College has announced Laura Kuo and Rachael Arauzthe are the college’s 1999-2000 Gaius Charles Bolin Fellows. Arauz is a doctoral candidate in art history at the University of Pennsylvania while Kuo is currently a Ph.D. candidate in women’s studies at the University of California, Santa Cruz.

The fellowship is named after Gaius Charles Bolin, class of 1889, the first African-American to graduate from Williams. The fellowship was instituted in 1985 by then-president Francis C. Oakley in an effort to encourage minority students to pursue careers in college teaching. The award is given yearly to two minority students pursuing a graduate degree in the humanities or in the natural, social or behavioral sciences. Each takes up academic residence at Williams for the year. Bolin fellows teach one one-semester course at Williams and devote the bulk of their time to completing dissertation work.

Arauz received her B.A. in art history and American studies from Wellesley College in 1991. Her Ph.D. field of concentration is modern art, and she is writing a dissertation on “Articulating ‘American’: Text and Image among the Early American Modernists.” Arauz has been a Smithsonian Predoctoral Fellow in 1998-99 and was awarded the Luce/ACLS Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship in American Art for 1997-98. She has been an instructor and teaching assistant at the University of Pennsylvania since 1994 and a curatorial intern at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

Kuo received her B.A. in women’s studies, art history and art studio from the University of California, Davis in 1991. She is a Ph.D. candidate in the history of consciousness department at the University of California, Santa Cruz.

Her dissertation, titled “Economics of Desire: Theorizing the Politics of U.S./Third World Feminist Coalitions,” will focus on representations of feminism and multiculturalism in postmodern visual art, print advertising, and feminist literature. Kuo has also been named the Helena Rubenstein Fellow at the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York.

Office of Public Affairs