Women’s tennis aces competition; opens fall season in triumphant fashion

Last spring the Williams women’s tennis team finished only one match away from bringing a national championship back to Williamstown.

Now, with a squad consisting of top players back from May’s second-place team, seniors returning from study abroad and talented new first-years, the Ephs are using their fall season to prepare for another run at a D-3 title.

Saturday the team continued its strong start to the fall season, defeating visiting Vassar 9-0. Williams improved to 3-0 with the win, looking as talented and match-tough as ever under Julie Greenwood’s leadership.

The Ephs’ doubles teams began the day taking all three doubles matches in decisive fashion. The sophomore tandem of Jasmine Bradley and Selma Kikic beat Carol Baker and Anna Stoefen 8-1 at #1 doubles, while senior co-captain Sarah Marks and Tracy Cheung ’03 defeated Vassar’s Alexis Neider and B. Weldon 8-1 at #2. Co-captain Lindsay Morehouse ’00 and Caroline

Wasserman ’03 teamed up to complete the sweep, winning an 8-3 match over Homa Rastegar and Emily Sands in the third spot.

The Ephs were equally successful in the singles matches. At #4 Kikic came off the court first, quickly beating Rastegar 6-1, 6-1. At #2 and#3, Wasserman and Bradley each boasted 6-0, 6-0 victories over their respective opponents, Sarah Tighe and Weldon. After the match, Wasserman’s comments reflected the team’s confidence and optimism.

“I have high expectations for the team this season,” she said. “I believe we have a very talented array of players who are capable of beating any kind of competition that opposing teams have to offer”.

In the top spot, Marks took out Neider, outplaying her 6-0, 6-3. At #5, Morehouse eliminated Baker 6-3, 6-1, and at #6 singles, junior Alison Swain defeated Stoefen 6-3, 6-3.

The #7-#12 singles matches were won as well by Rebecca Marques ’02, Jen Berylson ’01, Brooke Wright ’01, Martha Myslinski ’01, and Lisa Knappen ’00, respectively. The six players also combined to win two out of three victories in the remaining exhibition doubles matches.

Captain Morehouse said that she is extremely excited for the season and the prospect of duplicating last spring’s success.

“The team is looking forward to the competition and setting high goals,” she said.