Paul Boyer promoted to Director of Financial Aid

Williams College announced the promotion of Paul Boyer to the position of Director of Financial Aid, following the retirement of Philip Wick.

Boyer will be the College’s primary administrator of federal, state, and institutional financial aid programs. The financial aid office annually administers $21 million in scholarships and loans to approximately 850 students.

“Williams is committed to a program of financial aid based solely on need and makes a Williams education available to any student regardless of financial situation,” Boyer said. In addition to the need-based financial aid policy, the College follows a need-blind acceptance policy: students are chosen without knowing their ability to pay and the College extends financial aid to meet the demonstrated need of all students it admits.

Boyer has been at Williams since 1979 and was named Associate Director of Financial Aid in 1989. His responsibilities included advising parents and students about financial aid eligibility, performing need analysis and determining financial aid packages.

In addition, he has served as president of the Massachusetts Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators since 1996, during which he directed the outreach, professional development, public relations and legislative activities of its 600 members.

Boyer hopes to work on the national scene to increase appropriations to government assistance and on the campus to help increase scholarship endowment.

Boyer is actively involved in the College and town activities as Vice President of the Williams College Credit Union, President of the Williams College Faculty Club and a member of the Williamstown Chamber of Commerce Holiday Walk Committee.

Boyer, a native of North Adams, graduated from Williams College in 1977. His avocational interests include bicycling, gardening, and interior design, and he lives in Williamstown in a house that he describes as a “work in progress.”

Office of Public Affairs