Varsity Eight advances for Crew

First-year Williams women’s crew head coach Greg Kruczynski guided the Ephs to their first NCAA Rowing Championships berth for a varsity eight. Last year the Ephs landed a four with cox berth and finished fifth in a field of mostly Division I boats.

Headlining the Ephs’ strong first-year contingent was Shoshana Clark who was one of 13 first-years across the nation to be invited to the Arco Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, CA beginning on June 2. Clark was the lone rower from a Division III school to be selected.

Earlier in the year, the women’s crew team came within 1.1 seconds of capturing the New England title, placing second to the University of New Hampshire on Worcester’s Lake Quinsigamond.

The Ephs posted the fastest morning qualifying time and set up a showdown with powerhouse UNH. Over the first 1,500 meters of the 2,000 meter course there were four lead changes and the final 500 meters was so close that only the judges at the finish line could tell who won the race.

At the Berkshire Invitational Regatta the womens’ crew team fought against rough conditions to win the varsity eight race. In what proved to be the highlight of the day, the varsity eight boat defeated top New England teams to earn a first place finish in a time of 8:16:54.