Seniors lead track at nationals

This year the Ephs finished off a solid season with a strong performance at the NCAA Track and Field Championships hosted by Baldwin-Wallace University, in Berea, Ohio. Over the three-day competition, four Ephs earned All-American honors.

Tim Campbell ’01 led the way with his outstanding second place finish and personal best time of 9:02.27 in the 3000-meter steeplechase. Rebecca Brooks ’00 also picked up her first All-American honors when she tied her own school record in the shot put (44’ 9″) to place fourth. Tri-captain Paul Alsdorf ’99 earned honors with his sixth place finish in the 5000-meter run (14:39.11). This is his third time receiving All-America honors on the track. Finally, tri-captain Dave Stuhlsatz ’99 picked up All-America honors in the shot put when he broke his own school record and placed seventh (54’ 6″). This is his fourth time receiving All-America honors in the shot put.

Recapping the highlights of the competition, the hammer throwers were the first to compete. Brooks placed fourteenth in the event with a throw of 144’ 2″. Matt Campanelli ’00 was sixteenth in the men’s competition with a toss of 155’ 6″.

Later, Tara Crowley ’00 and Katie Sharff ’02 competed in the 1500-meter run. Crowley finished third in her heat with a time of 4:39.76 and qualified for the final, where she placed twelfth with a time of 4:46.11. Sharff placed nineteenth overall with a time of 4:49.98. In the 10,000-meter run, Dan McCue ’99 placed fifteenth with a time of 32:13.49.

The 400-meter team of tri-captain Aaron DeCamp ’99, Brian Hennessey ’99, Ed Rossier ’01 and Trevor Bayliss ’99 ran a personal best time of 3:15.67 and finished thirteenth overall.

Meg Randall ’99 placed twelfth in the 5000-meter run with a time of 17:48.93 and Lauren Krisko ’00 earned twentieth with her time of 18:34.72.

The men finished in a tie for twenty-second overall with a total of 13 points. The women finished in a tie for forty-third overall with a total of 5 points.

Leading up to nationals, the men captured their ninth consecutive New England Division III crown.

As has been the case in recent weeks, the athlete of the meet for Williams was Stuhlsatz. A perennial top performer, Stuhlsatz outdid even himself, winning the shot put with a throw of 53’ 9″ and placing a strong second in the discus throw with a mark of 50.88 meters.

The other champion for Williams on the day was Alsdorf ’99, who started the scoring for the Ephs in the 10,000-meter run. His time of 31 minutes, 10.10 seconds was an NCAA provisional mark.

Preceding nationals, the women, racing at home on Plansky Track, secured the ECAC championship with 110 points. Last year the Williams women were fifth at this meet with 57 points.

Both the men’s and women’s teams also won NESCAC titles. Stuhlsaltz again led the way for the men, winning both the shot put (53’6”) and the discus (47’ 55”). Also chipping in to the team victory with wins were Rossier, pleasing the crowd with a 54.37 second 400-meter hurdle run, Jason Mirach ’01 leaping a personal best of 13.80 meters in the triple jump, and the speedy quartet of Valentin von Arnim ’02, John Berry ’99, Bayliss, and Jon Pearson ’00 triumphing in a thrilling 4 x 100 meter relay with a time of 43.20 seconds.

Jill Metzger ’99 contributed three victories to the women’s team with a 58.28 in the 400-meter race, a 64.79 second 400-meter hurdles and a convincing anchor leg of the champion 4 x 400 meter relay team. First-year Katie Worth added a win in the 800-meter dash in a time of 2:14.62 while fellow frosh Melissa Purdy took heptathlon honors with 3927 points. Brooks had a great day in the throwing events, earning first in the hammer throw with a NCAA provisional mark of 45.20 meters and in the shot put with a throw of 12.71 meters.