Lacrosse goes two for two in ECAC championship games

Women’s Lacrosse

The Williams women’s lacrosse team brought home the ECAC championship with a 7-4 win over Trinity. The Ephs triumphed with strong play from Alison Furey ’99 and Caitlin Ritchie ’00, who scored two goals apiece, and Dede Orracca-Tetteh ’99, who made an impressive 17 saves in goal. Williams defeated Tufts 15-10 in the semi-final round.

The victory gave the Ephs a 10-3 record for the season, which was highlighted by exciting victories and some outstanding individual seasons. Cara Shortsleeve ’00 and Courtney Stokes ’00 were both named third team All-America. Shortlseeve was also named first team All-NESCAC, while Stokes and Ritchie were both named to the second team. Stokes and Orraca-Tetteh were also selected to play for the North team in the Division III North/South All-star game, which will take place on June 12 at Johns Hopkins University.

Men’s Lacrosse

The Williams men’s lacrosse team ended their season on a high note by defeating Colby College 14-13 for the ECAC championship. Nick Weisser ’00 scored the game-winning goal, his second of the game, 45 seconds into overtime. The win was especially sweet because Williams’ first game of the season had been a one goal loss to Colby.

The victory was the culmination of an impressive season in which the Ephs amassed a 12-6 record. Many individual players also earned honors. Weisser and teammate John Moorhead ’00 were both named to the 1999 Snively League first team and Goalie John Servidea ’99 was named to the second team. Moorhead was also named Offensive Player of the Year.

The Ephs season was a memorable one, and included an exciting 12-11 victory over arch-rival Amherst that was decided with a goal from Geoff Cohane ’99 in the fourth overtime period.