Women’s lax brings home ECAC title

After suffering two difficult defeats last week, the women’s lacrosse team bounced back this week to win the 1999 ECAC Championship. Williams rolled over Tufts 15-10, and on Sunday downed Trinity 7-4 in the championship game.

Facing a tough Trinity team for the second time this season, the Ephs put forth a strong team effort to stop the Bantams. In one of her best outings of the season, senior goalkeeper Dede Orracca-Tetteh made an impressive 17 saves on the day to stop the Bantam onslaught. While the defense was busy stopping Trinity attacks, the offense was running its usual quick and powerful game.

Having faced the Bantams once before this season, Williams was able to read the defense and barrel through, scoring four unassisted goals. Senior Alison Furey led the Eph attack with two goals and one assist, followed by two goals from Caitlin Ritchie ’00 and junior Cara Shortsleeve’s one goal and two assists. Heather Black ’02 and Sam Daigneault ’00 each added a goal to help the Williams effort.

Poor weather did not deter Williams on Saturday when they faced the Tufts Jumbos for the second time this season. Outshooting the Jumbos 24-14, the Ephs went on to take a 15-10 victory. Williams came out strong and scored the first three goals of the game, two from Robin Severud ’00 and one from Black.

However, Tufts answered with vengeance, going on a five goal run in less than six minutes. But the Williams offense would not be stopped, notching four more goals. Severud netted her third goal of the game and Shortsleeve added one and two assists. The Ephs took a 7-6 lead into halftime. Williams dominated the second half from the beginning, exploding for five goals in only three minutes to take a 12-6 lead.

The Williams defense denied attack after attack by the Jumbos. Before the game ended, Williams knocked in three more goals to finish with a 15-10 win. Juniors led the way for Williams, as Shortsleeve netted three goals and four assists, Ritchie added four goals, and Severud contributed three. Other scoring Ephs were Furey, Meghan Cleary ’00, Alexis Scott ’00, Michelle Kovacs ’01, and Black (one assist).

The women’s lacrosse team finishes their season as the ECAC Champions with a 10-3 record. Ranked as high a fourth in the nation, the Eph season was highlighted by some powerful wins, including a huge upset over Trinity earlier in the year.

Among the seniors graduating this year are co-captains Katie Minton (midfield) and Courtney Stokes (defense), as well as offensive power Alison Furey, midfielder Jenny Powers, and goalie Dede Orracca Tetteh.

Next year looks bright as the duo of Ritchie and Shortsleeve look to give the Ephs an offensive punch and defender Katie Gold ’00 will protect the backfield. The Ephs will return 20 other members of the team whose experience will prove key in the upcoming season.