Williams seeded fourth for ECACs

After dropping the first game of their doubleheader with Amherst 3-0, the Williams softball team battled back to destroy the Lord Jeffs 12-5 in their last home game of the season. Not only did the Ephs manage to capture a victory in their last home game, they also swept Middlebury in a doubleheader 10-3, and 7-0 in their last games of the regular season, to give them a shot at ECACs.

Last Saturday, the Williams softball team was quite clearly fired up to face archrival Amherst here on Cole Field. Williams entered the double header amidst a flurry of great expectations and a lot at stake; a Little Three title, post-season aspirations, and marking the end of an era with seven seniors’ last game at home.

The first game proved to be a defensive battle between both pitchers, but with only one hit Amherst was able to clinch a 3-0 victory. Williams first-year pitcher Chrissy Odre allowed only four hits, while Amherst’s first-year hurler, Lauren Pelloquin allowed five hits but managed to hold on to a shut-out victory. Of the five hits allowed by Pelloquin, Gisele Pinck picked up three of them herself and went 3-3 in the first game.

Unlike the first game, the second game was marked by an offensive slug-fest with Williams coming out on top by a score of 12-5. Primed for revenge and ready to ring the Goodrich bells, Williams jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the third inning. Senior pitcher Catherine Bagley led the Eph defense, while Amherst’s Pelloquin was showing signs of fatigue in her second game of the day.

By the top of the fifth inning and Williams leading 4-0, Amherst proved they were not going to quit just yet and managed a five run rally, placing Amherst in the lead 5-4. Despite the brief turn of events, the Eph offense, helped by three Amherst errors, managed to bat more than the entire line-up and score eight runs in the bottom of the sixth inning.

With the score now 12-5, senior reliever Kathleen Mason shut down Amherst’s chances of a comeback by allowing no hits to batters one, two and three in the line up!

The 12-5 victory against the Lord Jeffs was especially significant to the Ephs on many levels ranging from post-season aspirations, to demonstrating that Amherst’s pitcher with a .7 ERA still could not stop the Eph offense. However, this victory was most poignant for the seven seniors that not only have the satisfaction of winning their last game on Cole Field, but more importantly that they won it in a crushing defeat of Amherst. When asked how she will remember this day, senior captain Becky Logue stated, “After two years of heavy rain during Amherst games, this was a beautiful day for a beautiful win, and it was a supremely satisfying way to end four years of playing on Cole Field.”

With the high spirits evoked from the defeat of the Lord Jeffs in the last home game of the season, Williams appeared just as fired up to close the regular season with a sweep of Middlebury 10-3, and 7-0. Despite a one hour rain delay,

Williams managed to maintain focus and let their hitting and spectacular defense do the talking. Bagley took the win of the first game nearly four hours after the first pitch crossed the plate, and was aided by the hitting of Laura Brenneman ’99 who went 2-4, with 3 RBIs and two stolen bases.

The Williams Softball team was led by the three-hit pitching of Mason in the second game, which ended in 7-0 shut out for Middlebury. The Eph offense was also quite successful aided by Caitlin Carr ’01 with three hits in five at bats, while Jess Hartley ’02 went 2-4 with one RBI and a stolen base.

The victories against both Middlebury and Amherst brought the regular season record to a close with a record of 22-13. The Ephs’ hopes of post season play were granted this Monday when they were notified that they will now appear in the ECAC tournament as the number four seed. The first game of the tournament will be held at Cole Field on Wednesday when the Ephs face Salem State College.