Men’s track runs over competition at NEs

The Williams College Men’s Track and Field Team is the team of the 90s in New England. On Saturday at Colby College, the Ephs captured their ninth consecutive New England Division III crown, ending the decade with this and several other impressive streaks intact. The team total of 102.5 points exceeded last year’s winning tally by over 20 points at a meet that has become more deep and difficult to win in recent years. The top five team scores were Williams, 102.5; Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 74; Colby College, 66; Middlebury College, 60; Bates College, 59.

As has been the case in recent weeks, the athlete of the meet for Williams was tri-captain David Stuhlsatz ’99. A perennial top performer, Stuhlsatz outdid even himself on Saturday, winning the shot put with a throw of 53’ 9″ and placing a strong second in the discus throw with an NCAA automatic qualifying mark of 50.88 meters. Stuhlsatz’s improvement in the latter event has been dramatic this season.

Although he was the finest of the weight men, Stuhlsatz was certainly not alone in the throws. Dave Nemeskal ’99 placed fourth in the shot put (49’ 8″), Hunter Greene ’02 grabbed seventh in the javelin (51.88 meters) and junior Matt Campanelli had an outstanding day, placing sixth in the hammer throw with a strong NCAA provisional mark of 52.64 meters.

Campanelli’s accomplishment is all the more impressive considering that the field included three of the top five hammer throwers in the nation and that the top seven will all probably make the field at nationals.

The only other champion for Williams on the day was tri-captain Paul Alsdorf ’99, who started the scoring for the Ephs by out-kicking Bates’ Mike Danahy in the 10,000 meter run. His time of 31 minutes, 10.10 seconds is an NCAA provisional mark. This event proved to be Williams’ strongest on the day, as three others picked up points: Geoff Hutchison ’99 was fifth (32:28.58), Dusty Lopez ’01 put on a late charge for seventh (32:40.65), and Reed Harlow grabbed eighth (32:47.01). Tim Campbell ’01 ran the 3000-meter steeplechase for only the second time ever and showed just how much potential he has in the event by running an NCAA provisional time of 9:14.73, good for second place. The only other distance man to score was Shad Miller, who picked up eighth place points in the 5000 (15:51).

The Williams effort was aided by a solid performance from the sprint squad. Trevor Bayliss ’99 took third in the 400 meter dash with a time of 49.51 seconds, while tri-captain Aaron Decamp ’99 took eighth in 50.56 after having run his personal record in the trials. In the 100 meter, Valentin Von Arnim ’02 capped off a fine rookie campaign with a fifth place finish (11.44), while teammate Jon Pearson ’00 captured the same position in the 200 (22.92). Most impressive was the 400-meter hurdle race in which the dynamic sophomore duo of Ed Rossier and Jake Israelow placed third and forth respectively with times of 54.25 and 54.67. Many of the above athletes were involved in the day’s two relay races. First up was the 4 x 100, in which the team of Von Arnim, John Berry ’99, Bayliss, and Pearson finished a disappointing third with a time of 42.87. The 4 x 400 quartet of Decamp, Brian Hennessey ’99, Rossier, and Bayliss crossed the line in fourth place (3:20.61).

Three underclassmen led the Ephs in the jumping events: Jason Mirach ’01 had an excellent day in the triple jump, placing second with a leap of 13.79 meters. He was supported in the event by Dwight Ho-Sang ’02, who picked up seventh (13.10). Finally, Malcolm Perry ’02 did not have his best day but still finished in a tie for seventh with a 13’ 3″ clearance.

Discounting relays, Williams scored 91.5 points on Saturday. Of those, 44 were scored by the senior class, an especially strong group that will graduate without ever having lost a Quad Cup meet, a NESCAC championship, or a New England Championship, either indoors or out. The Ephs travel to the University of Maine next week for New Englands.