Men’s tennis heading to Final Four

On Sunday, the Williams men’s tennis team defeated Trinity College (CT) 6-1 to capture the Division III NCAA East Regional Title. With the win, Williams advances to the final four to be held next weekend at the Claremont Colleges in Claremont, California. The Ephmen now boast a 14-1 season record.

Williams took an early lead in the match as the men won all three of the doubles contests. Leading the way at number one doubles were Josh Lefkowitz ’02 and Sherman Lim ’99. They defeated Trinity’s Rosty Orach and Aretm Gonopolsky 8-3. Also taking an 8-3 match were Evan Hornbuckle ’99 and Dan Matro ’01. The duo won the number two doubles match over Alex Valente and Peter Green. At number three doubles Captain Scott Zinober ’99 and Bill Stebbins ’99 were also in top form. They took an 8-5 decision over Steve Wohlford and Matt Sharnoff.

Zinober led the charge in singles play as he dropped only three games to Wohlford in his 6-2, 6-1 win at number five. Eric Hasenauer ’00 was the only Eph to take a set without dropping a single game to his opponent; he did so in his 6-0, 6-4 defeat of Valente at number three.

Playing a solid match at number two, Lim posted a clear victory over Gonopolsky with a match score of 6-4, 6-3. At number four, Stebbins defeated Jared Sheikh 6-3, 6-3.

Also winning for the Ephmen was Hornbuckle at number six. He took his first set 6-1 but had a harder time in the second set winning 7-6(5) in the tiebreaker.

Trinity’s lone win came at number one singles where Orach defeated Lefkowitz 6-2, 6-3.

Williams advanced to Sunday’s title match due to its success against Amherst on Saturday. The Ephmen defeated the archrival Jeffs 6-0, as two matches were called because they were not needed to decide the victory.

The Ephs won two doubles matches against Amherst. At number one, Lefkowitz and Lim defeated Harlan Stock and Yo Kobayashi 8-6. Stebbins and Zinober were victorious at number three doubles, taking an 8-4 decision over David Wellner and Peter Ransmeier. Hornbuckle and Matro’s match at number two was called because it was not needed to award the doubles point.

Lim set the tone in singles play as he dominated Reeve Segal 6-0, 6-1 at number two. Stebbins also had a quick match, winning 6-2, 6-2 over Scott Chase at number four. At number six Hornbuckle prevailed 6-4, 6-2 over Kobayashi.

Hasenauer at number three and Lefkowitz at number one both had a bit of trouble in their first sets but rallied to win. Hasenauer narrowly took the first set 7-5 but easily defeated Bryan Wexler 6-0 in the second set for the win. For Lefkowitz it took three sets to defeat Stock as he dropped the first set 3-6. The next two sets were clearly in Lefkowitz’s control, however, and he won 3-6, 6-3, 6-1. Zinober’s match at number five singles was called since the Ephs had already clearly won.