Throwers excel, teams prepare for New Englands

Saturday’s “Ephitational” track meet represented the calm before the storm for the Williams College Men’s Track and Field Team. Having wrapped up their eighth straight NESCAC title a week before, this weekend was spent tuning up for the New England Division III Championships, where the Ephs will be going for nine in a row.

The unsung heroes of the team this season for Williams have been the throwers, who put up big scores every week but go largely unnoticed. All-American tri-captain David Stuhlsatz ’99 pulled of his usual double win on Saturday, taking the discus throw (154 feet) and the shot put (53’ 6″), in which the Ephs scored all four of the top places. Stuhlsatz was followed by Dave Nemeskal ’99 (48’ 5″), Dave Fontes ’02 (44’ 4″ PR) and Bob Blackstone ’00 (43’5″).

Stepping to the forefront this week, however, was Matt Campanelli ’00, who won the hammer throw with an NCAA provisional qualifying mark of 164’ 7″, a personal record. In the javelin, Hunter Greene ’02 took first place (168 feet), followed by Matt Holland ’02 (152 feet).

The other field events went equally well. Malcolm Perry ’02 was victorious in the pole vault, clearing a height of 13 feet. Jason Mirach ’01won the triple jump with an excellent leap of 44’ 5″ and placed second in the long jump (21’2.75″), just ahead of surging teammate Jason Stanley ’00, who is quickly regaining his All-New England form.

Williams also excelled on the track. The best performaces of the day came from senior Brian Hennessey, who blazed to a personal best time of 1:54.31 in the 800 meter run for second place, and Tim Campbell ’01, who used a furious finishing kick to win the 1500 meter run in a time of 3:59.06.

Tri-captain Paul Alsdorf ’99 was third in the 1500 (4:01). Tri-captain Aaron Decamp ’99 took advantage of the good weather to win the 400 meter dash in the personal best time of 50.34, followed closely by Jack Linehan ’02, who placed third (50.75).

In the other sprints, Trevor Bayliss ’99 continued to surprise people with his speed in the 200, placing second (22.88 PR). First-year Valentin Von Arnim placed third in 22.93, shaking off an earlier false start in the 100 meter.

The hurdle races showcased the squad’s depth. Eric Getty ’02 was the top Eph in the high hurdles, placing second in 16.08, nipping Jake Israelow ’01 at the line. Ed Rossier ’01 placed a solid second in the 400 hurdles (55.46), again just ahead of Israelow (55.94).

Williams capped off the terrific day with the relays. The 4 x 100 team of von Arnim, John Berry ’99, Bayliss, and Mirach cruised to victory in 43.10 seconds, while the 4 x 400 squad of Decamp, Rossier, Hennessey, and Bayliss ran a smoking 3:18.44 for first place, closing in on a national qualifying time.