Women’s tennis tops competition

The women’s tennis team had a successful weekend, defeating MIT, Bowdoin and Smith. The Ephs defeated MIT 8-1 at home on Friday night, winning all of their singles matches in straight sets. The only loss of the match came in the number one doubles spot, where Melani Nakamura and Kelly Koskalin of MIT defeated Jasmine Bradley ’02 and Selma Kikic ’02 in a 9-8 tiebreaker.

On Saturday morning, the Ephs traveled to North Hampton, MA to play in a dual-match against Bowdoin and Smith. Against Bowdoin, the Ephs won all of their doubles matches. In the number one spot, Bradley and Kikic won 8-5, at number two Lindsay Morehouse ’00 and Daphne King ’99 won 8-3, and at number three Brooke Gibson ’01 and Allison Swain ’01 won 8-4. In singles, Morehouse won 6-4, 6-3, at number four, and Swain won 6-3, 6-2 at number six. Gibson, Bradley and Kikic, at numbers one, two and three were all ahead in their matches when Bowdoin decided to forfeit the match due to rain, so the Ephs took the match 5-0.

The Ephs then moved indoors against Smith. Though the courts changed, the results stayed the same. “The game is much faster on indoor courts,” commented Coach Julie Greenwood, “so it was an adjustment for some of the players.” Nevertheless, the Ephs defeated Smith 6-1. They won the top three doubles matches again, this time by scores of 9-8, 8-2, and 8-4 respectively. In singles, number one Bradley lost, but the Ephs were victorious at two, three, and four: Gibson won 6-3, 6-3, Kikic won 6-3, 6-3, and Morehouse won 6-2, 6-1. “I think that we are gaining a lot of confidence as a team,” commented Greenwood of the weekend, “we are coming together really well.” The Ephs will travel to U-Mass today, and then they face Amherst and Wellesley at home on Saturday.