Women’s lacrosse beats Bantams; win streak at six

It was an outstanding week for the Williams women’s lacrosse team. They added three victories to their record and increased their win streak to six. Dominating each team they faced, the Ephs proved their endurance and power. The week was highlighted by an impressive upset of Trinity College.

On Saturday Williams traveled to play one of the biggest games of their season against NESCAC opponent Trinity College. Williams was simply too much for the third-ranked Bantams, as they decisively beat them 13-7.

The game began in Trinity’s favor with the Bantams scoring in the first ten minutes followed by another quick goal. Down 2-0 the Williams defense stepped up and parried Trinity attacks, while Dede Orraca-Tetteh ’99 dominated the goal (12 saves), making four straight saves at one point. With Williams controlling the game in front of their net, Caitlin Ritchie’00 took control of the offense and netted Williams’ first two goals of the game.

Following her lead, Cara Shortsleeve ’00 and Kristen Sullivan ’01 each netted one of their own to continue the offensive push. Both teams would continue to battle through the first half, but the team of Ritchie (four goals, one assist) and Shortsleeve (three goals, three assists) continued to score, putting Williams up 7-4 at the half.

The second half was once again marked by Williams’ skillful defense that held Trinity to only three second-half goals. Meghan Cleary ’00 began the Ephs second half attack with the first goal of the half, followed by Ritchie’s fourth on the day. Goals by Heather Black ’02 and Sullivan (two goals) brought the Eph total to 11, before Alison Furey ’99 finished Trinity off with two more goals to give the Ephs a 13-7 win.

Coach Mason was thrilled with the effort saying, “It was an outstanding game! The defense was excellent and Dede was really critical in keeping us in the game today.”

Earlier in the week Williams defeated Skidmore 16-7 at home. The team of Shortsleeve and Ritchie was at it again as they each netted a goal in the first two minutes of play. The Ephs went on to score six more goals, including two more from Shortsleeve, and one each from Furey, co-captain Courtney Stokes ’99 (two assists), Robin Severud ’00, and Michelle Kovacs ’01.

Skidmore began to make a run at the end of the first half, scoring two straight goals, but they were still down 8-2 going in to the break. The second half began much as the first, with Williams striking first. Skidmore answered with one more goal before Furey went on a