Team from OIT to participate in Relay for Life

It’s not a race, but that doesn’t mean we can’t win.

This year a team from the Williams Office of Information Technologies (OIT) will be participating in the American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life. We anticipate a team of about 12 OIT staff, friends and family to come together for this worthy cause.

On Friday, June 11 and Saturday, June 12 the American Cancer Society’s Berkshire County Unit will be hosting the fourth annual Relay For Life at Wahconah Regional High School in Dalton, Massachusetts. This national event is a “Celebration of Life” where teams of 9-14 participants walk and/or run around the track in relay fashion, having at least one team member on the track at all times during the 24-hour event.

The Relay For Life concept began in 1985 when Dr. Gordon Klatt, a surgeon and American Cancer Society volunteer in Tacoma, Washington, ran and walked around a track for 24 hours traveling 81 miles and raising $27,000 for the Society. The event has been introduced to division across the country and has become an American Cancer Society signature event.

1998 Relay For Life

The third annual Relay For Life was also held last year at Wahconah Regional High School. 55 teams from all walks of life, including corporations, hospitals, churches and family groups participated and raised over $142,000. Many team members camped out together overnight to support one another throughout the evening.

The highlight of the evening began at 6:00 p.m. with the “Survivor’s Lap,” which consisted of over 200 cancer survivors walking one lap around the track with each survivor proudly wearing a red, white and blue ribbon with a pewter medal embossed with the Relay For Life symbol. The lap was cadenced by the Berkshire Highlanders playing “Amazing Grace.” This was a very emotional experience for all who participated and witnessed the event.

The Luminary Ceremony conducted in memory of those who died of cancer and in honor of those who have survived the disease took place at 9:00 p.m.

Over four thousand candles were lighted around the track for the ceremony and the names of those honored and remembered were read over the public address system.

This year’s Relay for Life will also feature the Survivor’s Lap and the Luminary Ceremony. The Survivor’s lap will take place Friday June 11th at 6:00 p.m. and at 9:00 p.m. the field will be lit with thousands of luminary candles and the crowd will grow silent as we recognize the people who are fighting this disease and remember our loved ones.

If you would like to purchase a luminary candle in memory of someone who has died of cancer or in honor of someone who is fighting this disease, or if you would like to sponsor one of the participants, please contact Michael Richardson via e-mail at mrichar@adelphia.net.

More information and an on-line sponsor form can be found at: http://www.surf.to/relay4life