Softball comes close thrice, takes one from Jumbos

After the four consecutive victories the week before, this week proved to be quite disappointing for the Williams softball team, who went 1-3 for the week, losing all three games by only one run.

The first two of these three losses occurred at home in a doubleheader against Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts (MCLA). The Ephwomen took the field last Wednesday led by the pitching of Catherine Bagley ’99 and jumped out to an early 5-0 lead after only two innings. However, due to some crucial defensive errors by Williams and timely hitting by the Mohawks, MCLA was able to narrow the gap to 5-4 in the top of the fourth. By the top of the seventh, the Mohawks had gained the lead 7-6, when senior pitcher Kathleen Mason relieved Bagley. The game went into extra innings with a tiebreak rule in effect, allowing a runner to start the inning on second base. Unfortunately for the Ephs, MCLA’s tiebreak runner scored and Williams’ did not. The final score was an upsetting 8-7 defeat.

The second game against MCLA did not prove to be much more successful, yielding yet another victory for the Mohawks. After pitching the last couple of innings of the first game, Mason took a break, only to start and pitch all seven innings of the second game. This game proved to be much more of a defensive game, as both pitchers managed to keep the numbers of hits down to a minimum. The Ephs yet again started the game with a 1-0 lead scored by Laura Jacobs ’99, but by the sixth inning, MCLA had taken the lead 3-1. In the bottom of the seventh, it looked as if Williams was going to be able to rally after first-year Gisele Pinck’s RBI, but the Ephs’ hopes were dashed after the third out came on a well-played grounder by MCLA.

With a long-standing rivalry at stake and needing to avenge both last year’s sweeps by Tufts and Wednesday’s two losses, Williams was ready to destroy the Jumbos this Saturday. Unlike the games on Wednesday, Williams had one of its finest defensive performances committing no errors in either game. First-year pitcher Chrissy Odre led the Ephs to a solid 5-3 victory with the help of the 13 hits by the Williams offense led by the three hits each by Kathleen Higgins ’99, Laura Brenneman ’99, and Jacobs.

Bagley pitched the entire second game, which was another solid defensive match-up between the Jumbos and the Ephs. Both teams played extremely well, but Williams could not produce many runs and fell to the Jumbos 2-1.

After three upsetting one run losses this week, the Ephs’ record now stands at 14-7. The Ephs play a doubleheader against Smith today, and have a tournament this weekend at Trinity.