Men’s track wins 11th straight Little Three

For the eleventh consecutive year, the Williams College Men’s Track and Field team is the champion of the Little Three Conference. The Ephs dominated Wesleyan and host Amherst on Saturday. Despite a modified scoring system that guarantees a certain number of places to each school, the Ephs managed to run away with the contest with a total score of 190 points. Amherst was second with 131, and Wesleyan was third with 71.

Among the most impressive performers was senior Trevor Bayliss, who continued his remarkable year by winning the 400 meter dash in a time of 49.01, the sixth-fastest quarter mile in Williams history. Bayliss also ran a 48.5 anchor leg in the second place 4 x 400 meter relay, teaming with Aaron Decamp ’99, Jack Linehan ’02, and Brian Hennessey ’99. Earlier on in the day Bayliss also combined with Valentin von Arnim ’02, John Berry ’00, and Jon Pearson ’00 to win the 4 x 100 relay in an excellent time of 42.76.

The other sprints were dominated by Bayliss’ relay mates. Pearson came out of lane 1 to take the 200-meter dash in 22.68, and finished second in the 100-meter dash (11.26) behind the hard-charging Berry, who broke his personal best with a winning time of 11.22. Von Arnim also contributed the personal best of his young career in the 200, finishing third in 22.93. In the longest sprint race, Hennessey ran a very quick 800-meter but could not overcome the Lord Jeffs’ national champion Rob Mitchell. His second-place time of 1:55.52 represents an excellent mid-season mark. Finally, Jake Israelow ’01 repeated as Little Three champion in both hurdle races with times of 15.99 in the high hurdles and 57.07 in the intermediates. First-year Eric Getty finished second in both events, ably making up for the absence of the injured Ed Rossier ’01.

The distance men had an excellent day, showing great depth and versatility. Tim Campbell ’01 added to his string of impressive meets, winning a very entertaining 1500-meter run over two standout Amherst athletes in a time of 4:00.03. Senior Dan McCue dropped down in distance and finished fifth in 4:08.75. The Ephs placed four in the top six of the 5000-meter, lead by Shad Miller ’00 who crossed the line in 15:21. Geoff Hutchison ’99 was next in 15:24, followed by Dusty Lopez ’01 in fourth and Reed Harlow ’01 who captured fifth.

For the second straight week, coach Pete Farwell inserted a new face in the 3000-meter steeplechase. Last week it was Campbell and this time it was Jay Slowik ’01, who finished a strong second with a fast 9:47.98. Veteran steeplechaser Teddy Wasserman ’00 was third in 9:53.58.

Williams ruled the field events on Saturday, capturing first place in all but one. Tri-captain David Stuhlsatz ’99 won both the shot put (Little Three record 52’ 4.75″) and the discuss throw (151’ 3″).

The other Eph throwers also contributed mightily. Matt Campanelli ’00 was victorious in the hammer throw with a big 151’ 3″ heave. Hunter Greene ’02 flashed his potential by throwing the javelin 165’ 6″ for first place.Dave Nemeskal ’99 picked up a strong second in the shot (45’ 4.25″), Bob Blackstone ’00 was second in the discus and fourth in the shot, Carter Wilkinson ’99 placed second in the javelin and third in the hammer, and Dave Fontes ’02 was third in the discus and fifth in the shot. Overall, it was a romp of a meet for coach Fletcher Brooks’ throwers.

The jumpers were equally convincing in displaying their strength. Malcolm Perry ’02 and Tom Douglas started off the day by capturing first and second respectively in the pole vault. Perry’s win came despite breaking his pole on one attempt in mid-vault.

Junior Jason Stanley ’00, who made a triumphant return from a number of nagging injuries, won the long jump. Dwight Ho-sang ’02 took fourth in the event, but had bigger plans for the rest of the day. While Jason Mirach ’01 was his usual dominating self in the triple jump, winning with a 44’ 3″ leap, Ho-sang broke out his best triple jump by far, taking second (43’ 2″). Senior Jason Wilson tried valiantly but failed to win this third straight Little Three title in the high jump as he placed second (5’8″).

With the Little Three taken care of, the Ephs broaden their focus next Saturday and Sunday for the NESCAC championships, to be hosted by Connecticut College. In addition, the 4 x 400 relay is set to compete at the greatest track meet of all, the Penn Relays, on Friday in Philadelphia.