Men’s lacrosse heats up with three wins

Saturday’s victory at the campus of the Trinity Bantams marked the end of a 3-0 week of well-played lacrosse for the Williams men’s team. Defeating Hartwick, Colorado College and Trinity, the Ephs improved their overall record to 5-4 and extended their winning streak to four games.

In their biggest win of the season to date, Williams rallied from a 5-1 deficit after the first quarter to beat the Bantams by a final of 14-11 in a spirited NESCAC battle. Rob Adamo ’01 played a spectacular game for the Ephs, tallying seven points on two goals and five assists.

In face-offs, first-year Derek Chapman did an excellent job in gaining possession for the Ephs throughout the game and enabled Williams to make their decisive third quarter run. With 4:02 left in the third quarter, the Ephs took their first lead of the game with a goal by Scott Goldberg ’02 that left the score at 9-8. A strong defense lead by senior co-captain Sam Webster sealed the win with a stalwart defensive effort in the fourth quarter.

John Servidea ’99 was, as coach Renzie Lamb said, “the rock of Gibraltar” in the net with fourteen saves, and Williams improved to a winning record for the first time of the season.

On Thursday, the Ephs played host to their western rival, the Colorado College Tigers, and while not playing their best lacrosse, still managed to edge out the victory 10-9.

A lackluster performance put the Ephs down 3-1 at the midway point. The scoring picked up in the third quarter as Williams tied, and soon after took the lead, on two goals from Adamo (2 goals, 1 assist).

A two-goal effort by CC in the third quarter was outdone by late goals by Andy Jones ’00 and John Moorehead ’00 (4 goals, 2 assists), leaving the score at 6-5 in favor of Williams. “It meant a lot for our team morale to win a one-goal game,” said Moorehead after the game, “although we need to develop into a team that plays well for all four quarters and not just in the second half.”

As the Williams attack made its presence felt on the field, the Williams defense, lead by goalie Servidea (21 saves), rose to the occasion and steadily drained the energy from the CC offense. “The game was all in the second half,” said coach Lamb, “We were unemotional in the first half, but we really lit up in the second half. John Servidea was a hero.” Late in the fourth quarter, and eight seconds after CC took the lead 9-8, Jones tied the game at nine goals apiece and put the pressure back on the CC defensive unit.

With just over four minutes left in the game, Nick Weisser ’00 sealed the 10-9 win with a brilliant score from the perimeter.

The Hartwick lacrosse team also fell victim to the Ephs’ improved play, as Williams beat them in a home game on Tuesday 16-7. Moorehead led the way offensively, scoring five goals, and Servidea ’99 collected thirteen saves in the net. The Ephs led 10-4 at the half and absolutely dominated in ground ball recoveries on the day.

The Ephs’ schedule continues today with a game at Connecticut College, a home game Thursday at 4:15 against Springfield College, and a game Saturday at Little Three rival Wesleyan. Every game is a big game for the Ephs from here on in as they battle for an opportunity to participate in postseason play.