Women’s tennis beats Skidmore

With a strong effort from their doubles teams, Williams women’s tennis defeated the defending national champion, Skidmore, 6-3 in the team’s first home match of the spring. The Ephs are now 9-4 for the year and 3-3 for the spring.

The Ephs started out strong, winning all three of their doubles matches. The #1 doubles team of Jasmine Bradley ’02 and Selma Kikic ’02 defeated Skidmore’s Inke Noel and Lisa Powers 8-2. The #2 team of Lindsay Morehouse ’00 and Daphne King ’99 beat Skidmore’s team of Amy Wachenheim and Alexis Karetzky 8-6. To cap off the doubles sweep, Williams sophomores Brooke Gibson and Alison Swain defeated the Skidmore doubles team of Heather Wood and Jenny Slayton by the same score of 8-6.

The Ephs were also strong in singles play. Gibson held off a late challenge by Powers to win at the #3 spot 6-3 6-3. At #4, Morehouse won 6-2 6-2 over Wood. The last victory for the day for Williams came courtesy of Swain, who came out with a 6-4 7-5 win over Slayton. Skidmore did pull out a few wins, however. Bradley lost to Wachenheim at the #1 spot 6-4 6-0 and Kikic was defeated by Noel 6-1 6-2 at the #2 spot. The only other Skidmore victory came from #5 Karetzky, who defeated Eph Sarah Kline ’99 6-2 6-4.

In earlier action, the Women’s tennis team traveled to Hilton Head, South Carolina for training and match play over spring break. In their first match of the trip, and of the season, the Ephs lost 3-6 to the College of New Jersey. Ranked third in New England, New Jersey came out mentally and physically prepared, fresh from their own spring training trip. Commented Kikic, “It was a good match because they were such a strong team, and it opened our eyes to the competition that we will be facing as we prepare for nationals.” After a day off for practice and rest, the Ephs sustained a disappointing 4-5 loss against the University of the South. According to Swain, “the team was not prepared to play a tough match yet. We needed to raise the level of our game and get excited to be playing out there, and that wasn’t happening yet.”

Following another day of training, the Ephs celebrated their first wins of the season in a dual-match against Carnegie Mellon University (8-1) and Kalamazoo College (9-0). “They were good matches for us confidence-wise”, said Coach Julie Greenwood, “we talked about some things after the first two losses. The energy was really positive, and I was very encouraged by the wins.”

The last match of the trip, against MIT, was cancelled due to weather and will be postponed for later this spring. “I don’t think that we started off the trip as strongly as we would have liked”, commented senior co-captain King, “but that definitely leaves us room for lots of improvement” The Ephs next face Bowdoin and Amherst on Saturday.