Men’s track impressive in opening meet

This Saturday the Williams Track and Field team hosted the 1999 edition of the Williams Relays. Teams from throughout New England and Eastern New York converged on Plansky Track for some good early season competition. A chill in the air and a stiff wind could not spoil the meet, as sunny skies were the order of the day. Team scores are not kept at Williams Relays, but the Ephmen marked the day with a number of excellent individual and relay performances.

As was the case during the indoor season, the senior class shone the brightest for Williams on Saturday, registering three of the four individual first place finishes for the Ephs. Leading off the day was All-American tri-captain Paul Alsdorf ’99 with a win in the arduous 10,000 meter run. Alsdorf qualified provisionally for the NCAA championships with his time of 31 minutes, 32 seconds. Geoff Hutchison placed third in 32:30.5. Another senior distance man, Dan McCue, was victorious in the two mile run with a fast time of 9:41.73. Shad Miller ’00 continued his steady improvement, finishing second in 9:56.60. The third winning senior was All-American tri-captain David Stuhlsatz who took the shot put with an NCAA provisional mark of 15.72 meters. Stuhlsatz had already registered an automatic qualifying mark during the spring break trip to Florida. Dave Nemeskal ’99 continued his breakout throwing season, putting the shot 13.19 meters for third place. Stuhlsatz concluded his day by placing second in the discus throw (45.47 meters).

Sophomore Tim Campbell used Saturday’s meet to try out a new event, the 3000 meter steeplechase. A very grueling event, the steeple is ordinarily unkind to newcomers but Campbell took to it like a veteran and won the race with an excellent time of 9:33.09. Other individuals with top three finishes included Jay Slowik ’01 (third in the 1500 meter), Aaron Decamp ’99 and Brian Hennessey ’99 (second and third in the 400 meter), Valentin Von Arnim ’02 (third in the 100 meter), Matt Campanelli ’00 (second in the hammer throw), and Jason Mirach ’01 (second in the triple jump).

Three Williams teams captured first place in relays on the track. The 4 x 100 meter relay team of Von Arnim, John Berry ’00, Trevor Bayliss ’99 and Jon Pearson ’00 made its debut and easily captured first with a time of 43.4 seconds. The Ephs ran a loaded sprint medley relay team composed of the ubiquitous Von Arnim, Decamp, Bayliss, and Hennessey to win going away in 3:32.77. The distance medley relay team also earned a victory, crossing the line in 10:56.39.

Unlike most events, the Williams Relays includes field event relays, in which individual performances by members of each school are added together to determine a team champion in each event. The Ephs took the first three of these, beginning with the shot put relay, composed of performances by Stuhlsatz, Nemeskal, and Bob Blackstone ’00. The throwers also captured the discus throw relay as well. Finally, the triple jump relay was captured with performances by Mirach, Dwight Ho-Sang ’02, and Alex Wong ’99.

The Ephs get back to more serious competition next Saturday, as the team travels to Amherst College for the Little Three championships, at which they hope to do away with the Lord Jeffs and Wesleyan Cardinals. Action begins at noon at Pratt Field.