Men’s lacrosse tops Tufts

The Williams College men’s lacrosse team concluded their first week of Northeast competition with a crushing defeat of the Tufts Jumbos in their home opener front at Cole Field on Saturday. In improving their record to 2-4 on the season, the Ephs clearly outmatched a Tufts team that fell short in every facet of the game against Williams.

Williams began the offensive damage early, scoring their first two goals within twenty seconds and leading the way to a dominating 11-3 lead by halftime. “It was nice to have a game on the home field,” commented head coach Renzie Lamb, “and the balance of our offensive attack was a positive aspect of the game.” Nick Martinelli ’00, Nick Weisser ’00, and Scott Goldberg ’02 were each good for hat tricks on the day. Meanwhile, Graham Davidson ’01 was an offensive threat from the opening face-off, and finished the day with two goals and two assists before leaving late in the fourth quarter with a slight hamstring pull.

At the other end of the field, Williams made improvements in the cohesiveness of their defensive unit. Solid play by tri-captain Sam Webster ’99 and James Moorehead ’01 complemented an especially strong performance from longstick Steve Bradley ’99. Goalkeeping was again a highlight of the defense as John Servidea ’99 racked up ten saves, followed by five saves in the fourth quarter by goalie Dave Willet ’99.

Earlier in the week the Ephs missed the chance to achieve an out of conference win at RPI by losing a hard-fought overtime battle.

With the Ephs leading 10-9 late in the fourth quarter, RPI netted the tying goal with just 1:13 remaining on the clock. Scoring production for Williams was a complete effort, with Weisser and Goldberg leading the way with three goals apiece. John Moorehead ’00 contributed one goal and two assists, while the sticks of Taylor Smith ’99, Andy Jones ’00, and Davidson were each good for one goal. Servidea ‘99 kept the game close throughout with an impressive 18 saves in the net. Head coach Renzie Lamb summarized the loss by saying, “We had our opportunities, but we had some defensive breakdowns.”

Easter Sunday brought the first win to the Ephs record, as they traveled to New York and cruised over the Hamilton Continentals 12-6. Williams went out of the gate hard and jumped to an 8-0 lead at the midway point.

A letdown in the third quarter opened up a small opportunity for Hamilton as they scored five goals to decrease the Eph lead to three. The early Williams lead proved insurmountable for Hamilton as the Eph defense regained its composure and limited the Continentals to only one goal in the fourth quarter. Leading the Eph victory were John Moorehead ’00 (4 goals), Martinelli ’00 (2 goals, 2 assists), and Weisser ’00 (2 goals). As expected, Servidea was solid in the net with 10 saves.

Despite their recent success, the season began on a disappointing note for the Ephs as they finished their Florida campaign without a victory. The three losses included one-goal defeats to both Colby and Bowdoin, and a 16-9 loss to top- ranked Salisbury State.

The Ephs continue their schedule with a home game today against Hartwick at 4:15, followed by a home game against Colorado College on Thursday and a game at Trinity on Saturday.