Hockey finishes season second at ECAC

In the Men’s ice hockey ECAC championship game, the Norwich Cadets defeated the Ephs 7-3 for their first ECAC East Championship. Williams finishes the season with an 18-7-2 record, tying a school record of 18 wins and ending one of the most dramatic and exciting seasons in men’s ice hockey in recent memory. Men’s hockey finished what can be considered a highly successful season.

The team started the season in a little bit of a slump, losing games to RIT, Hamilton, and AIC, dropping to 2-3. The Ephs rebounded to defeat MCLA and in dramatic fashion defeated Wesleyan, coming back from a 2-0 deficit to score four goals in the third period.

The Ephs’ high-paced and high-scoring style of play was true to form throughout the season. One of the highlights of the season was their 3-1 win over nationally ranked Amherst. The home team, before a capacity crowd over 2,000, outplayed the Lord Jeffs in almost every aspect of the game.

Following the Amherst game, the Ephs found themselves in the hunt for an NCAA bid. They needed a victory against either Middlebury or Norwich; unfortunately, the Ephs came up short in both contests and failed to qualify for the NCAA playoffs. They did, however, earn a bid to the ECAC championship and defeated Colby in the first round before losing to Norwich.

The team, already looking forward to next year, will boast many high-performing underclassmen and a strong senior class ensuring that the Williams team of the new millennium will be as fun and exciting to watch as the 1999 team was.