Men’s track tunes up for ECAC and NCAA Championships

On Friday and Saturday members of the Williams College men’s track and field team made the journey to Boston University to compete in the New England Intercollegiate championships, a meet that features the best athletes in the region in Divisions I, II, and III. While simply getting into the field is an accomplishment at such a competitive meet, a number of Ephs recorded excellent performances that demonstrated they were not just content to be there.

The most impressive athlete of the weekend for the Ephs was senior Yuneng Li, who ran a school record time of 2:29.54 in the 1000 meter run, which qualified him for the finals in which he placed seventh. Sophomore Jay Slowik continued his excellent season, finishing right behind Li in the trials with a time of 2:30.37, placing him third all-time at Williams in the event.

NCAA qualifying marks were reached by a number of Ephs. Tri-captain David Stuhlsatz ’99 had his best shot put performance of the season, just in time for nationals. His throw of 54’ 2.75″ was good for second place, is an NCAA automatic mark, and was less than three inches shy of his own school record.

Brian Hennessey ’99 went into the 800 meter competition on Friday seeking an NCAA qualifying time, and he left with one. His time of 1:53.75 is a strong provisional mark. Hennessey returned to the track on Saturday again looking for another national mark, this time in the 4 x 400 meter relay. The team of Ed Rossier ’01, Aaron Decamp ’99, Trevor Bayliss ’99, and Hennessey finished in 3:21.24, about a second better than the provisional standard in that event. The 4 x 800 team of Li, Jeff Edmonds ’99, Kevin Reilly ’02 and Slowik completed a fantastic race, crossing the line with a time of 7:47.89, good for seventh place and close to the school record.

Other events competed in by Williams athletes included: Jon Pearson ’00 in the 55 meter dash, Bayliss and Rossier in the 400, Reilly in the 500, and a distance medley relay team of Edmonds, Shad Miller ’00, Reed Harlow ’01, and Miguel Fernandez ’01.

A larger contingent of Ephs will again converge on Boston University on Saturday March 6 for the Division III ECAC championships. For some, this meet will represent the conclusion of the indoor season, while the elite will continue to the NCAA championships the following week.