Hockey opens up the ECAC tourney on fire

In the first round of ECAC post-season play, the Williams Ephs dominated visiting New England College, winning by the final of 8-3. Led by Ryan Crisp’s ’01 four goals and effective forechecking by the Ephs’ forwards, Williams played with a high amount of fire and enthusiasm.

The Ephs scored early in the contest with a goal at 3:28 in the first by Jon Collins ’99 with assists from Stephen Owen ’01 and Dan Houck ’02. New England responded at 5:30 with a goal from Justin Bousquet, assisted by Joakim Flygh and Martin Ene.

Crisp scored his first goal at 9:32 in the first with assists by Chad Ogiba ’00 and Bobby Moss ’01. New England kept the pressure on, with another goal at 10:34 by Martin Ene from Ralph Aiello during a power play. Jon Duval ’01 scored Williams’ last goal of the first period at 17:03 with assists from Andrew Beasley ’02 and Tim Albrecht ’01.

Crisp opened the second period with a goal at the 11:22 mark from Ogiba and Moss. This was followed quickly by David Carillo’s ’00 goal at 11:46 from Yvon Hopps ’02 and co-captain Jeff Russell. New England scored their last goal at 18:04 in the second when Mike Johnson and Mike Lupi combined to assist David Garofalo.

The Ephs closed the game with three goals in the third, the first occurring at 4:33, Crisp’s third goal, from Moss. Jeff Russell then scored at 9:11 with assists from Craig Branca ’00 and Houck. Crisp ended the scoring with his fourth goal at 16:24 on assists from Albrecht and Ogiba. The Ephs improve to 17-6-2 overall.

In the second round of the ECAC tourney the squad will face Colby College this Friday, March 4 at 7:30. The game will be contested at Norwich University in Northfield, VT. If the Ephmen win they will advance to the championship game to be contested Saturday at 7:30. Host Norwich plays Trinity College in the other semifinal.