Team impressive in tune-up for NE Championships

With one week to go before the New England Championships, the women’s track team tuned up at the Smith Invitational, sending the message that they are a force to be reckoned with.

The non-scoring meet included formidable teams such as Middlebury, Amherst, and the New England favorite Wheaton College.

Headlining for the Ephs once again was freshman phenom Katie Worth ’02. Worth faced off in the 800m with Middlebury’s All-American Kate Irvin ’01. Worth led from the start with Irvin and fellow freshman phenom Katie Sharff ’02 on her heels. With a lap to go, Worth turned on the power to finish well ahead of Irvin in an NCAA automatic qualifying time of 2:15.74. Sharff ran an outstanding race, finishing third in 2:19.31 and just barely missing the NCAA provisional standard by .07 seconds. Terri O’Brien ’02 also had a solid race, finishing 9th in 2:25.76.

Janna Rearick ’02 and Jonnie Vasse ’02 continued the freshman streak of outstanding performances with great runs in the 400m and 1000m, respectively. Rearick ran to a second place finish in the 400m (62.31) while Vasse was the top Williams finisher in the 1000m in sixth (3:12.01).

Tri-captains Courtney O’Connor ’99 and Meg Randall ’99 also had strong days. O’Connor easily won the 600m in a great time of 1:41.94. Randall, running a shorter race than usual, lined up in a 1500m heat that was loaded with All-Americans. Rising to the challenge, she finished fourth in a personal best time of 4:52.07. Teammate Sandra DiPillo ’01 ran to a tenth place finish in a time of 5:01.89.

With the meet running on a rolling schedule, the 3000m runners arrived with very little time to warm up. But it didn’t show in their races as Lauren Krisko ’00 cruised to a 5th place finish in 10:35 followed by Edie DeNiro ’99 in 9th (11:00.65) and Joey Shapiro ’01 in 14th (11:20.09).

The shot putters, the sole field event entrants for Williams, nevertheless made their presence felt with Shannon Mark ’00 finishing 3rd (38’5”) and Diane Williams ’02 tying for fourth (38’4.25”).

The relay performances capped off a strong meet for the Ephs as Johanna Heinrichs ’02, Maggie Clark ’02, Melissa Murphy ’00, and Carolyn Shank ’02 combined for second place in the 4X200m relay for a season best time of 1:52.93. Finally, Rearick, O’Connor, and Worth combined with a rested Jill Metzger ’99 to win the 4X400m relay in an NCAA provisional time of 4:04.02.

“This was great meet for the team and we had some terrific performances. I think everyone is psyched and ready for next week’s Division 3 New England Championships which is the biggest meet of the season,” said O’Connor.

Next week, the women return to Smith to compete for the New England Championships .