Squash pounds Brown in preparation for national tournament

The Williams men’s squash team was victorious on Tuesday night, beating Brown 9-0. The Ephs played excellent squash, winning all but two matches in three games. The victory was an important one for the team, virtually assuring them the number eight ranking and a spot in the top flight of the upcoming national tournament. With Brown only a few places below them in the national rankings, an Eph loss would have pushed them from their number eight position and forced them to play in the second flight at nationals. Coach Dave Johnson commented on the match saying, “This was a nice win for our team. With a spot at nationals up for grabs the pressure was on us and the guys came through, playing tough squash.”

The Ephs dominated the first four matches of the evening, jumping to a quick 4-0 lead. Captain Adrian Marshall ’99 played extremely well, keeping the ball deep in the court and controlling the points. Chris Delaney ’01 and Jeff Roizen ’00 also made quick work of their opponents at the number six and eight spots, respectively. Captain Marshall emphasized the significance of the strong start, saying, “Brown is a good team and it was important to get off on the right foot. This was an important match and the guys played very well at every position.”

It was not an easy win, however, as two matches went the full five games. Rob Howell ’00 overcame a nagging ankle injury to rebound from a 2-1 deficit at the number seven spot, winning the last two games in a hard-fought contest. The match of the day came from Tony McCutcheon ’99 at the number five position, playing his last home match for Williams. Trailing 11-14 in the fifth game, McCutcheon made some exceptional shots, finally prevailing on the last point in a thrilling 17-16 victory. With victories at the number ten and eleven positions, the Ephs capped off a dominating performance in a match they had to win. The team’s season ends this weekend at the national tournament at Harvard where they hope to avenge several close regular season defeats and improve on their number eight ranking.