Hockey defeated by Colgate, RIT

This weekend’s games against RIT and Colgate were the last home games for the Williams womens’ ice hockey team. Unfortunately, they were unable to capture victories in either, losing to RIT 3-0 and Colgate 4-1. Their record now stands at 8-11-2, effectively keeping them out of the running for the last ECAC playoff berth.

Against Colgate, Williams was unable to get any scoring when it mattered, scoring one goal late in the third. Colgate was led by Heather Murphy. She scored three goals in all, one in the first and two in the third. The lone Eph goal came courtesy of Cara Shortlseeve ’00 late in the third (18:34) once the game had been decided. Katie Gold ’00 and Alexis Scott ’00 were credited with assists.

In her last home game as an Eph, goalie Kate Niederhoffer ’99 saved 26 of the 30 shots she faced.

The night before, Williams was unable to overcome a tough challenge from ECAC West leader Rochester Institute of Technology as they fell to the Engineers 3-0. RIT scored its first goal at the 9:34 mark of the second from Katie Obyc. Williams held tough, but finally relented in the third as RIT would score two goals to add to their lead, keeping the game out of reach for the Ephs. The Ephs did have a couple of opportunities to score, compiling 16 shots for the game. Unfortunately, RIT goalie Melissa Norris turned back away all of the Eph shots. Niederhoffer saved 22 of the 25 RIT shots she faced. Williams will hope to end the season on a winning note when they play at Southern Maine and Amherst next week in the team’s two final games.