14 victories in a row, no signs of letting up

The Williams women’s basketball team extended their wining streak to 14 this week as they rolled over NESCAC foes Connecticut College and Wesleyan. The Ephs are currently ranked seventh in the nation, the highest ever for the program. They are now the number one team in the Northeast NCAA region.

On Saturday Williams faced Wesleyan College in Little Three action. Despite trailing in the opening minutes, the Ephs went on a 21-4 run to take the lead. Williams ended with a 75-52 victory which clinched the Little Three championship. This completes a four year sweep of Wesleyan for the Williams seniors. The Ephs dominated the boards, garnering 41, including 13 rebounds from Erin Duffy ’99 who also added 10 points. Laura Brenneman ’99 was on fire from the three-point line and led the way with 18 points. Kathleen Higgins ’99 followed with 15 points, draining four three pointers. With explosive moves in the post, Rebecca Brooks ’00 and Katie Ford ’00 contributed 11 and 8 points respectively to the Eph effort. Solid defensive efforts were put forth by Sam Daigneault ’00, Robyn Goldman ’01 and Melissa Griffin ’01.

The previous night, the Ephs destroyed the Camels of Connecticut College 76-42. Connecticut was unable to handle the tough Williams defense, and the Ephs took a 35-14 lead into the half. All fifteen Ephs saw action as Higgins led the way with 19 points, four assists and 8 steals. Brooks followed closely with 11 points and Duffy pulled down six rebounds. Liz Tilley ’01 had five assists and helped set a frenetic pace which Connecticut College could not keep up with.

With a 22-1 record, Williams finishes up its regular season with a game at Hamilton College. A win this Saturday puts the Ephs in great position to host NCAA games until the Final Four, which will be played at Western Connecticut College.