Squash beats Wesleyan, loses to Yale

The Williams men’s squash team fell to the Yale Elis 7-2 on Wednesday. Despite strong performances at the number one and two spots, the Ephs were unable to capture any of the remaining seven matches. Win Tangjaitrong ‘00 got the team off to a great start, utilizing his speed to beat his opponent in three games. Sophomore Zafrir Levy noted that he and Tangjaitrong “were able to control the play, cutting off balls and forcing their opponents to move around the court.” Captain Adrian Marshall ‘99 and Chris Delaney ‘01 played extremely well at the four and six spots respectively, each falling in tight 3-2 struggles. Commenting on the match, head coach Dave Johnson said, “I was very pleased with the team’s effort. Yale has a very strong squad and I felt we played very well throughout the lineup.”

Fresh off of an important 5-4 victory over Princeton, Yale arrived in Williamstown with plenty of confidence. With strong and consistent play from positions three through nine, the Elis rely on the parity of their lineup to bring success. Although the Ephs were unable to pull out either of the five-game matches, they did push a very good team to play their best squash. Captain Marshall stated, “Our team came out strong. We were quite close to taking three of the first four matches on court. Despite the loss, I was very pleased with the determination and performance of all of our guys.”

The Ephs were able to show the depth of their own lineup in the junior varsity matches, with Chris Bonner ‘01, Dave Adams ‘00, and Eric Katerman ‘02 among those winning hard-fought contests. Despite this, Yale was consistent and played strong squash all the way through to the twenty spot, ending the brief but brilliant career of Taylor Smith ‘99 in defeat.

The men traveled to Wesleyan on Saturday, defeating the Cardinals 9-0 on their home courts and securing a second-place finish in Little Three competition. Despite the change to Wesleyan’s older, narrow courts, the Ephs adjusted well and won every match on the day. The Cardinals were revved up to play the favored Williams squad and fed off of the energy of the large crowd. Two matches went the distance, with number seven Jeff Roizen ‘00 and number nine Chris Bonner each surviving in the end. Bonner said, “I was just happy to get off of the court. I’ve never been so tired.” Williams also played very well in its junior varsity matches, as Andrew Weller ‘01 played exquisite squash in a dominating performance. The Ephs now look forward to a very important home match against Brown Wednesday at 7:00 P.M. at the Simon Squash Center.