New faces in the Williams community

Lewis E. Fisher ’89 has been named assistant director of alumni relations, succeeding Wendy Hopkins, who has moved up to the director’s position.

As assistant director, Fisher will manage a volunteer network of 73 regional alumni associations and assist with the promotion and administration of a spectrum of activities and programs for the college’s 21,000 alumni.

Before assuming this position, he had been associated with Overland Travel Inc. in Williamstown since 1994, responsible for managing the operations of the student travel organization. He also worked for Overland in 1990-91.

From 1991 to 1994, he served with the Massachusetts Senate Committee on Ways and Means as budget analyst (1991-92) and senior budget analyst (1992-94). His responsibilities included developing annual budget recommendations for various state agencies and policy analysis for legislation affecting the finances of the Commonwealth.

Fisher graduated from Williams with a B.A. in English. At Williams he was captain of the squash team, played varsity lacrosse, served as a junior advisor, and wrote for the Williams Record.

Fisher and his wife Barbara Halligan ’87 have two children. Locally, he has been a volunteer with the Mount Greylock A Better Chance House.

Williams College has announced that William Wallace, associate professor of art history and archaeology at Washington University in St. Louis, will be the Robert Sterling Clark Visiting Professor of Art History for the second semester of the 1998-99 academic year. At the college, he will teach “Italian Renaissance Art c.1425-1530” and in the graduate program in art history, “Michelangelo: Painter, Sculptor, Architect.”

Wallace is the author of Michelangelo at San Lorenzo, the Genius as Entrepreneur (1994), selected by Choice as the outstanding academic book in 1995, and the editor of a five volume set Michelangelo.