Women’s track overcomes illness in Quad Cup

Despite the absence of numerous team members because of illness and injury, the women’s track team managed yet another close victory over Middlebury in the Quad Cup meet. With the help of an unexpected school record performance by Rebecca Brooks ’00 in the shot put, the Eph women won by a score of 187.5 to Middlebury’s 176.

Brooks’ performance was just part of a great day for the Williams’ throwers. Her shot put led the Williams 1-2-3 sweep in the shot put. Brooks was followed by Diane Williams ’02 in second (37’8”), an indoor personal best, and Shannon Mark ’00 in third (37’3.5”), also a personal best. Mark also threw a personal best in the weight throw with a throw of 37’5”, good for second place.

Brooks’ first place and school record throw of 39’10” betters the previous school record, held by throwing legend Brenda Start ‘97, by more than a foot.

Freshman phenom Katie Worth ’02 returned to action after illness sidelined her last week. She won the 1000-meter run in a blazing 2:58.61. Defeating the second place runner by 15 seconds, Worth’s performance was the one of the fastest 1000’s ever by a Williams woman, as well as the team’s fastest in 5 years. Worth also anchored the winning 4X400 relay team comprised of tri-captain Brooke Harnisch ’99, tri-captain Courtney O’Connor ’99, and Melissa Murphy ’00 which won in a time of 4:19.1.

O’Connor also had a good day individually winning the 600-meter dash in 1:44.69. She was followed by teammate Janna Rearick ’02 in second (1:47.46). Rearick is back on the track after a lengthy illness sidelined her for the beginning of the month.

Another notable runner back from illness was Jill Metzger ’99, who was second in the 400-meter dash in 62.94. Harnisch followed in third in 64.41.

Field event performances also brought in much needed points. Murphy won the long jump with a jump of 14’11.75”. Teammate Taylor Schildgen ’00 was fourth with a jump of 13’10.75” and third in the pole vault with an effort of 7’6”. Carolyn Shank ’02 was second in the triple jump (30’8”) and distance runner Lauren Krisko ’00 made a cameo appearance in the high jump to tie for second place.

The distance runners also made their typically strong contribution in the 800-meter, 1500-meter, and the 3000-meter races. Jonnie Vasse ’99 continued her comeback quest with a second place finish in the 800 (2:26.76). Schildgen also had a strong 800, finishing third in 2:30.72. Sandra DiPillo ’01 made her debut performance in indoor track at Williams with a strong second place 1500 (5:03.53). Tri-captain Meg Randall ’99 led a 2-3-4 Williams finish in the 3000. Randall finished second in 10:44.1 while Amy MacDonald ’99 was third and Rebecca Atkinson ’00 was fourth.

“Despite having many people out, I think that we made a good showing. When we get everyone else back, we are sure to be incredibly strong,” said Randall.

“Some people were running who really should not of because they are still getting over illness. I think that the priority is getting everyone healthy,” said Harnisch.

Meanwhile on Sunday, at the Greater Boston Track Club Meet at Harvard University, Katie Sharff ’02 took on some of the best runners in New England in the 800. She placed eleventh with a season-best 2:21.9.

Next week, the team travels to Bates for another Quad Cup competition with Bates and Smith.