Quad Cup is no problem for Men’s track

The Williams College Men’s track and field team was able to have its cake and eat it too on Saturday. Despite saving a number of top athletes for Sunday’s Greater Boston Track Club meet at Harvard, the Ephs still managed to handily defeat three teams to capture their second Quad Cup this season. Williams scored 266 points, over 150 more than the nearest competitor, Westfield State.

The sprinters had an excellent meet once again on Saturday. Jon Pearson ’00 returned from a back injury to be the top Eph in the short sprints. In a loaded 55-meter dash, Pearson placed second in a time of 6.75 seconds. Chido Alozie ’01 was third (6.80), Valentin Von Armin ’02 placed fifth (6.83) and Ed Rossier ’01 finished sixth. Rossier also placed second in his best event, the 55-meter hurdles, crossing the line in 8.08. Jeff Kaye ’99 was third. Pearson returned in the 200-meter and notched a victory with a clocking of 23.89. Alozie was fourth (24.90), and Josh Wakeham ’02 placed fifth (25.17). One of the most impressive Williams athletes was Trevor Bayliss ’99, who blazed to first place in the 400-meter with a time of 52.03. Tri-captain Aaron Decamp ’99 was third (53.20), Cliff Covington ’01 was fourth and Kaye crossed in fifth. Williams runners captured the second, third, and fourth places in the 600-meter dash. Miguel Fernandez ’01 just beat out Tyson Matsumoto ’99 for second and Ryan McDevitt ’02 took fourth.

There was plenty of talent on display in the distance events as well, even with the absence of All-American Paul Alsdorf ’99 and Dan McCue ’99. The Ephs swept the first three places in the 1000-meter run. Tim Campbell ’01 returned to the track in fine fashion, winning the event easily in 2:41.94. Kevin Stephans ’00 was second, and Nick Minekime ’02 took third. In the 800-meter dash, Dan Williamson ’01 took third, and Chris Warshaw ’02 placed fifth. In a very competitive mile race, Dusty Lopez ’01 was the top Eph, finishing second in 4:33.52. Geoff Hutchison ’99 was nipping at his heals and took third (4:35.09). Andy Anderson ’99 was fourth, and Shad Miller ’00 was fifth. In the 5000-meter run, Will Ronco ’01 and Ben Chaffee ’02 placed third and fifth respectively.

The shot putters were missing tri-captain and All-American David Stuhlsatz ’99, but had a great showing nonetheless. David Nemeskal ’99 threw a personal best 45’ 9” to place first. Junior Bob Blackstone continued to impress, placing second (45’ 4 1/2”), while first-year Dave Fontes was third (43’ 9 1/2”). Matt Campanelli ’00 had a great day in the 35 lb. weight throw, placing second with a 49’ 2 1/2” heave. Carter Wilkinson ’99 was fifth.

The jumps were a mixed bag for Williams. Jason Wilson ’99 and Nemeskal placed first and second respectively in the high jump, and Malcolm Perry ’02 (13’0”) and Tom Douglas ’01 (11’0”) finished first and third. Jason Mirach ’01, undefeated in the horizontal jumps up to this point, finally lost an event, the long jump. Mirach placed third (20’ 5 1/4”), and did not compete in the triple jump. Also in the long jump, Von Armin came out of nowhere, placing fourth despite not having competed in the event in three years. Alozie was sixth. In the triple jump, Yang Wang ’01 led the Williams contingent, placing second. Wilson was third. Williams easily won both the mile and two mile relays to round out an excellent day.

Next week, the Ephmen will travel to MIT to face archrival Engineers, as well as talent-laden Bates College. Victory and an extension of the team’s winning streak will require a total team effort.