Higgins sets scoring record as Williams rolls

It was a milestone week for the women’s basketball team. Ranked second in their region and fifteenth nationally, the Ephs defeated NESCAC foe Middlebury College for the first time in six years and Kathleen Higgins ’99 made history on Saturday as she broke the women’s career scoring record.

Saturday evening, the women faced the Cardinals of Wesleyan in a Little Three matchup. It was no contest for the Ephs from the beginning as they jumped out to a sizeable lead early on. Leading 42-20 at halftime, Williams kept the momentum going and went up 54-24 early in the second half. All fifteen Ephs scored in the 90-49 victory, but the night belonged to Kathleen Higgins. The senior co-captain dropped in 18 points, including a baseline drive with just over 7:30 remaining in the game to break Nancy Hedemon’s scoring record of 1,472.

There was a break in the game as Higgins received a standing ovation from the crowd and congratulations from her teammates, Hedemon, Athletic Director Bob Peck, and Coach Pat Manning. Higgins’ career total now stands at 1,474 points, and she is only 14 assists away from another school record. Also adding to the Ephs effort were Rebecca Brooks ’00 with 15 points, Laura Brennemen ’99 with 12, and Katie Ford ’00 with five rebounds. Erin Duffy ’99 dominated down low defensively with three blocked shots and Liz Tilley ’01 dished out a game high five assists.

Williams rolled over other opponents earlier in the week, defeating Vassar College 71-45. Brooks posted a double-double, with 11 points and ten rebounds. Higgins led all scorers with 16 points and six steals, closely followed by Brennemen with 13. Freshmen Nicole Stephens contributed eight points coming off the bench.

On Tuesday evening, Williams faced long-time enemy Middlebury College. Losing to them the past six years, the Ephs were intent on defeating the Panthers this season. Despite being down eight early on, the Ephs went into halftime with a 29-28 lead. A powerful frontcourt of Duffy with 20 points and Brooks with 23 points and seven rebounds, helped the Ephs maintain the lead and go on to a 70-64 victory. Higgins added eleven rebounds and Tilley had another game high six assists.

The Ephs’ record is now 12-1, and next week they face NESCAC opponents Trinity and Amherst in what promise to be two exciting matchups.